ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

preferred Workflow for lower thirds

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aza Allenpreferred Workflow for lower thirds
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:37:55 pm

I am editing an hour long show for a guy and it requires many lower thirds for the show. I know how to design them, BUT what is the preferred way, or least time consuming way to create and use the same one over and over and just change the text for each.

I want to accelerate my workflow and am curious how experts, like yourselves, accomplish this in After Effects (I do have Master Collection CS4, I am editing the show with Premiere, but do my effects in AE)

Make sure to check out my Heroes Fan Film at http://ruesterprod.blip.tv

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Justin VaillancourtRe: preferred Workflow for lower thirds
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 6:44:19 pm

Just make sure you precompose all of your text, then you can make a folder with all of your text comps. In your lower third comp, highlight the text comp layer, hold the alt key and then drag the new text comp from the project panel that you want to replace it with. As long as you keep all the text comps the same size and length, you should have no problems.

If the rest of the lower third is underneath the text and there are no layers on top of the text, you can pre render or make a proxy of the whole lower third minus the text, this will speed up render time significantly.

Also a trick I picked up for rendering. If you think that the client might want changes to the lower thirds, set up all your lower thirds in the render queue with all the correct settings and destinations. Instead of hitting render in the queue, close the project and then import the project into a new blank project. You render queue will still be there. When you hit render, it'll do the job, but it won't be affecting the original project render queue, so if you need to re-render everything at a later date, you don't have to set up the entire queue again.

Return to posts index

Aza AllenRe: preferred Workflow for lower thirds
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:00:46 am

One question Justin,
Would this work better, or would it screw something else up...?

Say I have my Name and Title of the person, I precompose those two into a comp, and did the same for each person (like you said) so that I have 1 pre-comp for each person, then I put all those pre-comps into another comp and then just turned on each one as needed? Would that work better, worse, or no difference?

Would that screw up the render trick you mentioned?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2009 at 3:42:20 am

Also (I'm an idiot)

I have another question about your render trick - If I have my comp ready to go, all my text is pre-comp'ed and I put "text1" into render que, then I alt drag "text2" into text1's place and put that in the render que as well, won't that also change the 1st one in the render que to have text2 as well, so basically I would be rendering "text2's" twice?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
david bogieRe: preferred Workflow for lower thirds
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 6:55:07 pm

I like Justin's approach, read his post several times so you understand the nuances.

I don't use CS4 for editing, I use Final Cut and we do all of our lower thirds using a collection of templates created in Apple's Motion. The template is created using drop zones for the text elements. When the template is used in the Final Cut timeline, the drop zones are all accessible form with thin effect's setting, directly inside FCP's interface. If our project has more than, say, ten supers, we create a simple text file that contains the names and job titles and locations and then we just copy and paste from Text to FCP.

Don't know if Premiere has a similar hook into presets from AE that allow access direclty to the text layers. However, I don't see why you'd want to use AE for the text component unless you're using some gee-whizzy text animation. use AE to create your backgrounds/straps/pills (whatever you call the lower third thingies) and insert the text using Premier's text tools. Far easier to make changes in the editor than in an upstream motion graphics app.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Aug 27, 2009 at 7:32:36 pm

I like Justin's approach a lot! Thanks Justin.

I am curious about David's post, it sounds like, if I'm understanding correctly, FCP allows you to create a text file and drop in the text into a template and it formats it for you right there, placing it in the spot you need, if that is true, does Premiere also have a way to do something like that, is that an even better approach to this? It seems though, especially in After Effects, once you've created and formatted the text for one lower third, and precomposed the text, you would then only have to change the text to accommodate your subjects, taking about the same amount of time as typing a text file, though I could be wrong about that.

I do think I will end up animating my lower thirds in the end, I love motion, so Justin's approach will probably be all I need, but David's has promise.

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Doog VandiRe: preferred Workflow for lower thirds
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 5:47:51 pm

Aza, its been a while so have you figured out the best workflow yet? I am in the same boat that you were 3 years ago. That said, I have a set of predefined lower thirds and tried the dynamic link between AE Pr. I then rendered them out with RGB+Alpha and tried again.

Here's my inference and would like the experts input. I found that Pr rendering is lot longer (doing it queued) when handling AE comp 37 mins. Whereas RGB+Alpha took 12 minutes. A simple 5:30 clip with green screen footage and some overlays.

That said.. I thinking about Justin's suggestion to pre-render the background and check the difference.

Return to posts index

Will CavanaghRe: preferred Workflow for lower thirds
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:53:20 pm

I use a script I wrote based on this one. My workflow is as follows:

1. Design lower 3rd, animate it, and get it all into AE. Use template text in AE as a placeholder for the real text.
2. Create spreadsheet of all the 3rds I have to make, export it as a CSV.
3. Run my script (it differs slightly from the one I linked in that it has a UI, and does some nice things with project organization and comp naming conventions).
4. Batch render, hand off to editor.
5. Make corrections once my producer realizes he fucked up the list of deliverables.

getnmd.com
nationalboston.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]