ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Sounds problem - comes out as white noise !

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben pincusSounds problem - comes out as white noise !
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:55:23 am

hiya, hope someone can shed some light on this

I have about 60 clips back to back in a comp. In preview sometimes they play fine (audio or normal preview) but sometimes you just hear very loud nasty white noise on some of the clips. If you play the same section it seems to be random, sometimes you can hear them fine as they shoudl be and other times you hear just scratchy high pitched noise. If I render the same thing happens. My feeling is this is aram issue but i've no idea how to solve it.

Return to posts index

Larry S. Evans IIRe: Sounds problem - comes out as white noise !
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 1:55:33 pm

Not to state the obvious, but have you checked the clips in some kind of player (i.e. Quicktime or Windows Media Player, etc.) to insure that the audio problem is not in the clip itself?

Failing that, you might try the following:

Save your file.

Go to the Edit menu and select Purge> All. This should clear your RAM of anything from the session.

In theory when you go to render the output module should find a nice clean spot of RAM to work with but that may not be physically possible.

If the purge doesn't clear it, save the file, close out After Effects, and reboot your computer. Come back into After Affects, load the file and without performing any other operation, render it out.

If you are still getting the noise there is probably something else causing it besides a RAM issue, at least as far as RAM being in use.

Larry S. Evans II

Executive Producer

Digital I Productions

Return to posts index

ben pincusRe: Sounds problem - comes out as white noise !
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:02:35 pm

thanks guys

the clips are cineform
seems the audio is unstable in AE

i intend to take each clip into Avidemux and extract a wav for each clip

when thats complete I will replace all teh clips in the composition with the wavs instead and then render out a full wav that represents the audio track

I can then redub it all

hopefully that will work

teh first wav out of avidemux scrubs and renders perfectly in AE so it should all be fine

(p.s. i totally get teh wav thing in AE and have always converted to wav to avoid problems but I did think that cineform audio would be ok seeing)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Sounds problem - comes out as white noise !
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 2:33:51 pm

If these are audio-only clips, they can't be compressed. The most common offenders are mp3 and ac3 audio files. AE isn't crazy about using compressed video -- it simply can't use some forms of video compression -- and it absolutely abhors compressed audio. They have to be either aiff or wav files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian SmithRe: Sounds problem - comes out as white noise !
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:54:29 am

What if you have purged, then restarted the computer... and it hasn't been fixed? For me, the audio is coming totally blown out and clipped. All the audio files were delivered to me as uncompressed wav's from Pro Tools. The weird thing is that some of the wav's work fine, but the majority of them come in totally blown out. I played them in QT and iTunes, and they sound fine.

Could this be related to any settings that my sound designer could have set before the final export? I am fairly familiar with Pro Tools, but if I remember correctly, it's pretty straight forward (not a lot of places to mess things up.)

This screen grab shows the first wav file that works fine. The one on the right, is one that is completely blown out. They were exported from the same batch in Pro Tools, and imported in AE at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Brian Smith

Return to posts index

Brian SmithRe: Sounds problem - comes out as white noise !
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:10:44 am

Found the issue. I didn't even think about it or realize it until right after I posted my question... (that's the way it usually goes for me.)

The wav's were all kicked out as 44.1K instead of 48K. That should've been the first thing I checked (maybe the second) but it was the last.

I up-sampled a couple clips to 48k and dropped them into the timeline and they seem to work.

Brian Smith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved