ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

problem with built-in animation text presets

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jozsef Torgyanproblem with built-in animation text presets
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:56:04 am

I just started my first job with AE.
I want to make a very simple thing: animate text (to be precise, just 3 short words) with one of the excellent built-in effects, which was shipped with the product.

However I realized, that the effect that I choosed from the list, is differs from the one that how I've seen it in the Adobe Gallery site.
So I tried with other effects too, but the outcome with AE is not the same, I would say it's on a complete different level.
For example, Pulse Exposure text effect seems to be a very complex effect on the website, while in AE it makes only fade-in and out to my text: no contour around the letters; characters also not growing, and shrinking, so it lacks almost all of the fancy features, that how the effect shows on the website.

Can you please help me where is the problem? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: problem with built-in animation text presets
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:57:29 pm

I just tried the Pulse Exposure text animation preset, and it works fine for me.

There are some caveats regarding the text animation presets, as described in the "Text animation presets" section of AFter Effects Help:

"The text animation presets were created in an NTSC DV 720x480 composition, and each text layer uses 72-point Myriad Pro. Some preset animations move the text on, off, or through the composition. The animation preset position values may not be appropriate for a composition that is much larger or smaller than 720x480; for example, an animation that is supposed to start outside the frame may start inside the frame. If the text isn’t positioned as expected or the text disappears unexpectedly, adjust the position values for the text animator in the Timeline panel or Composition panel."

So, you may need to adjust some parameters after applying the animation preset to your layer, depending on the characteristics of your text and composition. (For example, you might need to change the stroke color from the default white set by the animation preset if your composition's background is white.)

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jozsef TorgyanRe: problem with built-in animation text presets
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:40:21 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I'm using CS4 and SerpentineDBol.ttf font.

NTSC or PAL - I can't find any option in the program, when I create a new composition... is it important now? I'm not gonna make a TV broadcast both for US and Europe.

I only do very basic things. I followed Lee Brimelow's video tutorial. Open new composition, 640 x 240, 25fps, 30s, black background. Then I type three words, put in the middle. Choose character (font type), size. Then apply Effects & Presets -> Animation Presets -> Text etc. I apply the effect with 'drag & drop', RAM Preview first, then Play and that's all. But mine is not the same...

I created a new Composition, tried the 720x480 with Myriad Pro font. I couldn't find any NTSC-related settings, also my three words was too big for the 720x480 with 72 point Myriad Pro, so I reduced it to 60. Applied the effect and I get the same ugly / featureless / poorly effected result.

Double-click U (or keep pushing long) brings up the animation properties menu. But this submenu is not covered in this video, so I didn't touch it.

I can see all the frames, I think it's the green bar, which is created when I first click on RAM Preview, isnt' it? Sometimes it's a short or full length green bar, depends on the effect what I choose. I'm playing with different setups for two days, I tried switching to other font type, but I always get low quality result, can't have the same effects like on the website gallery.

Yes, I'm disappointed. This is very bad, that someone like me, who is totally new in this, need a week to use even the most simple things in this program, especially that I feel I learned all the basics thanks to that (and some other) video tutorials - things just not the same as in the video, or as it should be.

Do you have any idea what settings do I need to fiddle with?

Thanks & Cheers,

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: problem with built-in animation text presets
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:46:04 pm

Your text needs to be Stroked - use the character palette to set a value and color for stroke. You'll also want to use te COW's newbie forum if you're just starting out in AE. You'll also want to get either a book or a DVD training material for yourself. Creating Motion Graphics with Adobe After Effects by Chris and Trish Meyer is a great investment if you want a book. For DVD training material, look no further than the COW.

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Jozsef TorgyanRe: problem with built-in animation text presets
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:38:31 pm

Thanks Master! It's woking now. Problem solved.
Thanks for your advice about the learning materials too, I hope I will have time to get more involved into this great software and learn new things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved