ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d ball problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hare3d ball problem
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:46:34 pm

I am trying to make a 3d soccer ball in AE CS4 and am stuck...

I have made a flat image of the ball and have managed this fine with ccsphere. But the problem is that the ball has a logo top and bottom. I built a seperate sphere with the logo on it and rotated the logo so it sits in the correct place. I did this as AE pulls in the top and bottom when making a sphere and I didn't want the logo distorted. This technique worked and looks perfect.

I made an expression parenting the rotate functions of both logo spheres to the main sphere and added the forced rotation (to correctly position the logos) to the end of the expression. When I rotate on x everything is perfect and stays together. But when I rotate on y or z the logo rotates differently to the ball. I know the fault is with my expression but don't know how to fix it.

Hope someone can help...

Return to posts index

Trevor GentRe: 3d ball problem
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 1:31:02 am

Hey Jason,

Did you try just 'pick-whipping' each of the rotation values (x to x, y to y, z to z) of the two logo spheres to the main sphere? That should make it so you can rotate the main sphere and the logos should follow along . (Plus you can adjust the logos positions separately)

Hope this helps

Trev

Return to posts index

Jason HareRe: 3d ball problem
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:47:23 am

Hey Trev,

I have made the logo sphere with the logo in the centre of the image to avoid it being pinched when creating the sphere.

I did pick whip the rotations but to put the logo in the correct place I have had to add "+126" to the end of the y expression and add "-45" to the end of the x expression. Due to these offsets the rotation is out on the y and z.

I either need a way to make a sphere with the logos in the correct place, or be able to use an expression to keep the logo in the correct place during rotation.

Return to posts index

Jens EnqvistRe: 3d ball problem
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 7:42:10 am

With offset rotation it will be difficult to match them.

Take a look at our Sphere Utilities. It would help you out in cases like this. It will, among other things, make it possible to correctly position the logo on the football texture.

Return to posts index

Trevor GentRe: 3d ball problem
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:52:28 am

Hey Jason,

Did you try precomping the logos before applying cc sphere?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]