ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

memory problem in ae

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignacio Trianamemory problem in ae
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:07:33 pm

hello all, i'm having a problem with ae cs3 on a macpro with ten gb of ram. no matter how i try to condense and precomp a project, i can't render any pieces of it without the render cancelling and giving me an out of memory message.

i've "purged all" in the edit options, restarted my computer and can't render anything.
while on the subject of how much memory ae uses: why is it that ae will only use up to 3gb for maximum memory usage?

ultimately my computer has handled more complicated projects and renders and i can't really figure out how to move on.

hope all is well,

ignacio

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: memory problem in ae
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:45:36 pm

> why is it that ae will only use up to 3gb for maximum memory usage?

from "Memory usage and storage":
"The operating system imposes certain limits on the amount of memory that an application can use. After Effects on the Mac OS X operating system can use up to 3.5 GB of RAM, although only about 3 GB is actually available to the foreground application, because Mac OS X uses approximately 500 MB to load the user interface libraries. After Effects on 32-bit Windows operating systems can use up to 3 GB of RAM; however, to use more than 2 GB in After Effects, you must configure Windows XP or Windows Vista appropriately.... After Effects on 64-bit Windows operating systems can use up to 4 GB of RAM with no special configuration."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]