ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

beamer transparency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oscar verschuurbeamer transparency
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:01:25 pm

hey guys ..
here is my question :

I have this project coming up in which i have to project some design elements( flowers,grass...) on a painted backdrop..
The design elements have to be white.

I am going to design the elements in after effects and for the projection i am using an ordinary beamer.
Now i was wondering ; how i am going to set up my after effects composition and what colour is actually transparant if you are using a beamer ( white, black..or..?)

So will i be designing white elements on a black background ? or will you see the black colour as well ?
or do i need to adjust the beamer in some way to get what i want ?

I am a bit confused and not completely sure..
It would be awesome if you guys could help me out.
You are far more experienced than me :)

thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Larry S. Evans IIRe: beamer transparency
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:31:59 pm

If you are talking about trying to project "white" onto a colored wall and have the wall turn white, you'll have to change the laws of physics.

There's currently no way, regardless of what you create in an animation, of removing the actual color of a painted backdrop using a projector (beamer). The best you will get is to have the areas turn brighter. Depending on your projector's lumens rating this will be more or less. The more lumens, the brighter the light. A very bright light close to the backdrop might wash out the color enough to get the idea across, but I think it is impossible to make them white.

However, the area you want to be "white" in the design should be white in After Effects, and the background area should be black.

Hope that helps.

Larry S. Evans II

Executive Producer

Digital I Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved