ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Issues opening AE7 project in AE CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik LindahlIssues opening AE7 project in AE CS4
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:19:09 pm

I have an issue opening an old project-file from After Effects 7 in After Effects CS4. The project loads up to 94-97% where it indefinitely stalls on "Opening project…" 

Orignal file created in: AE7 PPC
Trying to open with: AE CS4 Intel (v. 9.02)

On a sep. machine the project still opens fine in AE7. I tried to clean up the project at bit there, creating a new file with fewer assets but the same end-result… I might add the file opened fine on the intel-machine in AE CS3 some time back.

Any tips on sorting this? The comp's in the project would be a royal pain to re-create…

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication
------------------------

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Issues opening AE7 project in AE CS4
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:49:47 pm

Hope you get better advice:

Open the project in AE7, save five or six copies, carefully numbering them.
Open each of the copies and delete about 3/4 of the material in each one so that, when they are all imported, you have the entire project.

Go back to your CS4 machine and start opening them one at a time. any one that fails to open contains your problems; could be a filter that is obsolete or media that has gone missing.

If they all open, you can import them one at a time into an empty project, then rearrange it.
'Tis tedious, yes.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Issues opening AE7 project in AE CS4
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:27:57 pm

What happens if you import the project rather than opening it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Issues opening AE7 project in AE CS4
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:12:32 pm

I tested to create a new project in AE9 and import the AE7 project as footage (i.e. import the project) and I have the same end result. It stalls at 96% complete. I'll let this work during the evening to see if it eventually figures out what ever is the problem (broken links or what not).

What David said might be a solution but it's sadly a relatively complex project to split up and re-import. I will give that a shot tomorrow however. Another solution would be appreciated.

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication
------------------------

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Issues opening AE7 project in AE CS4
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:12:50 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "What David said might be a solution but it's sadly a relatively complex project to split up and re-import. I will give that a shot tomorrow however. Another solution would be appreciated.
"

An import does exactly the same thing as OPEN so I'm not surprised it didn't work.
You've probably got a bad piece of media at the bottom of the list or you're trying to find a missing server or resolve some oddball URL. There are only a few things that can stop AE from opening a project successfully and none of them are immediately evident. AE7's project format is being converted on the fly to CS4 and there can be some oddball parsing issues with third party or obsolete effects, codecs your new machine does not have (or has updated or has located in different places), or dramatic changes in the OS.

Super complex projects from AE7 may benefit from the collect media feature. You will end up duplicating all of the media files but you end up with fresh copies all in one place.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Issues opening AE7 project in AE CS4
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:06:34 am

Well I finally sorted this with a "collect project" workflow. It was still pretty much like stepping on glass (crashed twice doing it, but the recovered pre-crash-file worked).

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication
------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]