ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kamal BayyAE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:14:26 am

Hi there, I just recentley purchased the Panasonic HVX-200 and I recorded some great footage with a P2 Card that held up to 16GB of data. I was filming a music video with the camera and i carried my laptop with me to dump my files off while travelling around (I only copied off the video folder files ".mxf" onto my computer from the P2 Card). While i played back some of the footage i did the frame rate looked perfectley fine on the cameras display monitor. After I finshed all filming I imported the .mxf file into Adobe After Effects 9 and the footage had been sped up by at least 2x the original speed. Why is that?!?! I could play around with the frame rate amount in AE but it has to be exact rate or else the lip syncing in my music video wont match!!! If you know how I could solve this problem please respond asap I would really appreciate it.
thank you for your time in reading my report
Kamal

Bless

System Type: Windows Vista 64 bit
Memory: 6 GB
Hard Drive : 1TB

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:08:40 pm

You say that you only copied over the VIDEO folder from the P2 cards? That could be your problem. The P2 format relies on an XML file in the CLIP folder to give information (like frame rate) about the video essence files.

The instructions in "Import assets in Panasonic P2 format" explain more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:54:27 pm

There are so many things that could be wrong here that it's tough to tell you for sure what's wrong. Here are the ones that come to mind immediately:
  • As Todd writes, you may have imported the video incorrectly. DID YOU FOLLOW YOUR EDITING SOFTWARE'S INSTRUCTIONS FOR IMPORTING P2 VIDEO?
  • What frame rate do you THINK you shot? 24p? If so, was it 24pn or plain old 24p? Do you know the difference?
  • Are you RAM previewing in AE, or simply hitting the space bar? What's the difference? As any rookie AE practitioner knows, you can't play anything in AE. AE doesn't work like an editing application: it has to render EVERYTHING, audio included. So you might want to read the previewing section in the online AE Help.

And as always, it really, REALLY helps to know what you're doing BEFORE you do it. You can do very few things intuitively when working in an editing application or in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kamal BayyRe: AE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:28:45 pm

'What frame rate do you THINK you shot? 24p? If so, was it 24pn or plain old 24p? Do you know the difference?"

Is there a way that i can set AE to play these clips at the normal frame rate? And I think that I shot it in 24p
BUT when I played all of this back on the cameras display screen it looked perfect ... so I just assumed that everything would be fine while exporting

Thank you

Kamal

Kamal

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:16:16 pm

[Kamal Bayy] "Is there a way that i can set AE to play these clips at the normal frame rate"

It sounds like you didn't thoroughly read the last thing I wrote: AE can't play anything. For all intents and purposes, it can only do RAM Previews at a "normal" frame rate.

Furthermore, you have chosen not to give us the information we asked for to help us help you.

You didn't tell us if you imported the video files according to your editing software's instructions.
You didn't tell us the frame rate at which you actually shot.
You didn't even tell us if you're working in PAL or NTSC -- the two systems have different frame rates, you know.

So -- we don't know the frame rate of your footage, we don't know if it was imported properly, and we don't know the frame rate for the country where you live. How on Earth do you expect us to tell you why it isn't playing at a normal frame rate? We don't even know what should be normal for you, for Heaven's sake!

I should also add this: if you began this project without knowing the basics of how the camera works, how the editing software works and how AE works, and simply told yourself, "How tough can it be, I'll figure it out later," I can guarantee you that you will experience nothing but frustration and disappointment. You can NOT rush blindly into such things and expect good results.

Once you figure out all the errors you've made so far, you will probably come to the conclusion that it's best if you start the project all over again. It's a very hard thing to accept, but it does make for a good learning experience.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Cs4 IS PLAYING WRONG FRAME RATE!!!
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 10:44:55 pm

You can interpret the footage item as being at a specific frame rate.

But, as I said, you may have a more fundamental issue if you're not importing the P2 media according to the instructions given for this kind of media.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]