ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Time Indicator/Play Head Frustration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave DocimoTime Indicator/Play Head Frustration
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:11:09 pm

In AE CS4 why does the play head jump back to the original position after stopping a ram preview? Am I the only person annoyed by this? Pre-CS versions did not do this. Older versions stopped the play head in place like FCP or any other editing App. I don't want set a marker every time I sync a keyframe to the audio track. Anyone out there have a better solution?

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Time Indicator/Play Head Frustration
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:00:26 pm

I don't have my copy of CS4 in front of me, but I believe that's the first version to work this way. CS3 works the way you describe.

I can only offer this tip, hold down command and drag the play head. This will let you scrub the audio like in FCP. I'm not sure if there's a way to revert the CS4 playhead behavior to the way it was in previous versions.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Time Indicator/Play Head Frustration
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:43:06 am

from "Preview video and audio":

" To stop a RAM preview, do one of the following:
* To leave the current-time indicator at the last-played frame, press the spacebar.
* To leave the current-time indicator where it was before you started the RAM preview, click the RAM preview button or press any button other than the spacebar."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave MarcusRe: Time Indicator/Play Head Frustration
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:50:27 pm

Huh, I'm surprised that was the end of the discussion on this. I've been running into the same issue. Stopping preview playback via "0" or spacebar seems to always bring the playhead back where the time indicator was positioned last, not where you stopped it during playback. From what I can see the only way to have it work is if you bypass the "0" shortcut and click on RAM Preview button in Time Controls, then hitting spacebar to stop playback.

Is this a bug or is there some other hidden setting I'm missing. I'd rather not have to constantly press the RAM preview button.

Dave Marcus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved