ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mac Pro with GT 120 NVIDIA any problems CS3?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sanchaMac Pro with GT 120 NVIDIA any problems CS3?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:21:25 pm

Hi..

At last getting something more heavy duty than my Mac Book Pro.. !!!
94 hrs rendering got the better of me!!

Apple Mac Pro is default shipping with Nvidia GT 120 video card any problems with CS3? Should I change the video card in my order?
As I cant find the cs3 video cards supported list, now its all cs4 on adobe and its not in that either. Yet all Macs Pros have that card now.

Thanks.
Anita

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Kevin CampRe: Mac Pro with GT 120 NVIDIA any problems CS3?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:51:28 pm

personally, for after effects work, i'd take the money that you'd spend upgrading the graphics card and spend that on more ram...

i don't know how much ram you are getting with your new macrpo, but with the new macpros with the core i7 cpus, after effects will see double the number of actual cores (4 physical cores will look like 8, 8 physical cores with look like 16) . this is due to intel re-introducing hyper-threading to its cpus, so they will actually run nearly 2x faster with hyper-threading.

with 'render multiple frames simultaneously' enabled, after effects will be able to assign up to 3.5gb of ram to each virtual core, with 2gb being recommended. so, after effects will be able to use a lot of ram for rendering. (note: you can use throttle to limit the number of cores that ae uses in cs3 and thus allow larger chunks of ram to be used for those cores, so you don't need 32gb or more of ram, but you might like to shoot for around 16gb).

the video card will really only help you with preview interactions (scrubbing in the timeline), and even then it has its drawbacks, which is why i'd recommend spending the few hundred dollars to upgrade the graphics card on more ram.

also, i wouldn't buy my ram from apple. it's too expensive. look at owc for good quality ram at good prices. they test everything on macs, and have a good reputation for their products. crucial has good ram too. they are a division of micron -- the guys who actually make the ram chips, not just the modules -- so there ram is very good quality, more expensive than owc, but cheaper than apple.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

anita sanchaRe: Mac Pro with GT 120 NVIDIA any problems CS3?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:59:59 pm

Thanks Kevin,

I am selling the family heirlooms and going for best hopefully!!! Not from the apple shop and in UK there are only a few cheaper mac sellers, but I can certainly add non apple RAM.. and shop around.

I was going for....

CTO MAC PRO 8 CORE 2 X 2.66 QUAD INTEL XEON "NEHALM" PROCESSORr 6GB/640GB/GT120 and swapping out the 6GB for 4 x 4 = 16 GB ram.

It is the video card I was wondering about.. it is just that the NVIDIA GT120 is the one that is already in the machines when it was made. and I cant find out if it works ok with CS3 as I cant find "supported video cards for AE ADOBE site

If is is a NEHALM it should hyper thread shouldn't it? Anything else I should find out...??? i7 cpus, xeon 5500 series?? its all so complicated. ahhhhhh....

Thanks greatly
Anita

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mac Pro with GT 120 NVIDIA any problems CS3?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:30:48 pm

hi anita,

like you, i'm having trouble finding gpu requirements for cs3.... i have an ati hd 2600 card in an early 2008 macpro that supports all opengl capabilities in cs3, if that helps....

and, yes, the nehalm cpu is a core i7, so it will have hyper-threading, so no worries there.

also, i checked apple's store (i know you mentioned you weren't getting it from apple, but this was interesting)...

it looks like you can upgrade the 6gb (6x1gb) to 8gb (2x4gb) for $100 (us). at owc 4x2gb modules run $209 (us), so it would be cheaper to get the 8gb ram upgrade through apple, then add another 8gb from a third-party vendor like owc.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]