ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adjustment Layer Masking...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James HenryAdjustment Layer Masking...
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 11:53:15 am

Hi All,

Having a few problems with some masking and I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on where I'm going wrong?

I have three layers -

1. Adjustment layer with mask (path of company logo)
2. Sheen
3. Company Logo

So the company logo should write on (which it does, I've pre-comped this) and then the sheen layer should animate across this... My Sheen layer is an elipsis with layer blending mode set to add. The sheen should then move up and across the logo. The logo consists of a few striped areas, so obviously the sheen needs to not appear in the gaps.

The Adjustment layer doesn't seem to be masking the sheen at all. If I create a new solid layer beneath these three then the sheen masks, but im left with some bits of the solid layer too... When I turn this later off the sheen is unmasked again... I'm really perplexed by this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: Adjustment Layer Masking...
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:03:33 pm

I think I understand what you're trying to achieve.

Instead of using an adjustment layer, you want to use a track matte instead. Have a solid with you mask applied, then set your sheen layer to use the alpha as a track matte.

Have you looked at just applying a Generate > CC Light Sweep to your logo? Might do what you're after with less hassle.

All the best,

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved