ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Swapping assets without affecting masks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart ElithSwapping assets without affecting masks
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:04:37 am

Hi all,

I've just run into a familiar problem that isn't devastating, but quite frustrating and I feel there may be a good solution I've overlooked.

I am doing some rotoscoping and have parented a solid to the motion track of my shot, then begun tweaking my masks. However, because the shot is tracked (and moves around quite a bit), my solid, which is comp sized, ends up shifting and so my masks end up extending past the solid border and thus being ineffective as it gets cut off.

Now I know one solution is to start with a bigger solid, but i sometimes forget this and so do all my masking before realising. I then have to either copy and paste all the masks to a new, larger solid (which i can do but is annoying) or precomp the solid and scale it before the masks are applied.

I was hoping I could create a bigger solid and then alt-drag to swap it in, but the masks then scale up (I guess they are calculated as a percentage of the footage size).

Anyone understand what I mean and have any suggestions!?

- Stu

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Swapping assets without affecting masks
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:42:10 am

Howzabout clicking on the solid's continuously rasterize button and then scale?

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: Swapping assets without affecting masks
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 11:44:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Roland, I hadn't thought of that... but it doesn't appear to work - the mask still scales up with the solid. I guess i'll have to just keep going with the pre-comp option.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Swapping assets without affecting masks
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:00:08 am

AaaccCCKKK!!!!

OK. Try these steps -
1) Select all masks via the Timeline
2) Select Edit>Cut
3) Change the size of your Solid to the desired dimension
4) Paste the (Edit>Cut) mask shapes that are still in memory onto the Solid

If you aren't sure what dimensions your SOlid should be since the Scale property defaults to percentages while a Solid's dimension is based on pixels then do the following.

1) Scale the Solid to the desired size so that nothing gets cut off. Press "S" to view the Scale property.
2) Right-click on the property and choose Edit Value. Change the Units parameter to view Scale in pixels. Take note of the dimensions.
3) Undo until your Solid is at the value before step 1.
4) Proceed onto the ealier procedure above.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Martin MelnickRe: Swapping assets without affecting masks
by on Dec 19, 2010 at 9:28:11 pm

I was just having this exact same problem with rotoscoping work I was doing and Roland's suggestion works perfectly.

Just drag your marker in the timeline to the beginning of your roto work
-> Then Select Your Masks
-> Cut them
-> Select the solid layer and then click the layer tab
-> solid settings -> change the dimensions to a much larger scale -> then paste them back in.
Repositioned the masks exactly as before and now the solid is larger woot. Thanks Roland.

-Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]