ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotating Around a Null's X-Axis in 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cummins
Rotating Around a Null's X-Axis in 3D
on Aug 25, 2009 at 3:33:36 am

I'm needing some help here. What I'm trying to do is have a band or wheel composed of 20 individual video plates rotating around a null point's x-axis in 3D space, as if you're looking straight on at a ferris wheel. I figure I'll need the null point to be the center of the whole thing, and either have 20 additional null layers parented to the position, and then parent the video layers to them, or just directly parent the video plates to the center null.

After watching Carl Larsen's tutorials on child tracking, I feel pretty confident I can get the anchor points of those video plates to track whatever nulls I have orbiting the center null, or even have one orbiting null and offset each additional video plate to complete the loop.

My problem is figuring out how to orbit around the null's X axis. To make matters worse, this is a project that has to be finished tomorrow night. Nothing like being under the gun, right?

EDIT: I'll just add that I've read dozens of previous posts and can't seem to find the answer there.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Rotating Around a Null's X-Axis in 3D
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:07:27 am

[Michael Cummins] "just directly parent the video plates to the center null."

This alone should be sufficient. You may also to to auto-orientate the video layers towards the camera.

Good luck!
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Michael Cummins
Re: Rotating Around a Null's X-Axis in 3D
on Aug 25, 2009 at 12:44:26 pm

Well, you're right! That was easy. For some reason I assumed it was going to be trickier than that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]