ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duplicating a comp and its precomps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch JordanDuplicating a comp and its precomps
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:18:43 pm

I need to make a naming graphic for about 20 individual players. I've created the first one, which consists of a main comp and 3 precomps in a folder. One of the precomps is for their chroma key, and their name is in a text precomp. After I make the first one, I'd like to duplicate the folder, swap out the chroma-keys with the next player, and update the text pre-comp. However, when I try that, the precomps in the duplicated comp still point to the original precomps and not the duplicates. So, every time I change the name text, it updates in the first comp as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can duplicate a comp with its precomps so the duplicated precomps only link back to the duplicated comp? Basically, I'm trying to make my own template. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Duplicating a comp and its precomps
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:08:37 pm

The idea is good but your approach is not appropriate. Study the sections in the manual on saving presets and templates.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Duplicating a comp and its precomps
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:35:52 am

Just save each player's comps as an AEP. Then import the AEP as many times as needed, once for each player. Even if the comp names are identical, AE will point correctly to the desired main comp once you update a precomp. TO make things easier on yourself, you'll want to rename each comp according to each player's name or jersey number.

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Mitch JordanRe: Duplicating a comp and its precomps
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:37:40 pm

Roland, your solution did the trick! Sorry it took me so long to get back, I had a lot of players to work through. I duplicated and simplified my original project to just the comps and layers I needed. I saved it as a template, although I didn't actually change the extension. I then imported that project in my final project, once for each new instance. I renamed as necessary, and everything worked great! Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved