ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Help needed with CS4 Aspect Ratios

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim Daire
Help needed with CS4 Aspect Ratios
on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:15:38 pm

I am wondering about the new aspect ratios in AE CS4.
Up to CS3 I have always been working in PAL with 768x576 and 1024x576 square pixels and then placed my comps in PAL or PAL Anamorph Comps for output to Final Cut or Avid.

Since CS4 the ratios changed and I need other widths. Of course in AE working the the new square pix and PAL Ratios fits fine But why is that only in Adobe Software? I mean, everything is compatible with Final Cut or Avid if I output a square pixels Clip with Animation Codec with the old settings and render in FCP. With the new widths it doesn'f fit in my editing software, so why did Adobe change the ratios and why did they do it excactly now with CS4??

Thanks for any hints in advance,

Karim

-Karim-

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Help needed with CS4 Aspect Ratios
on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:45:25 pm

Ignore the screwy new aspect ratios if you want to. There shouldn't be any problems. I don't have any. Like you, I'm scratching my head why Adobe changed them in the first place.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 25, 2009 at 1:58:19 am

Some major broadcasters and some software companies asked us repeatedly to fix the pixel aspect ratios for some older, standard-definition formats. We did. When the wrong thing has been done for long enough, many people consider it to be "right", so this change has certainly taken some time and effort to adjust to.

To learn how to work with the pixel aspect ratios, why they were changed, and even how to avoid using the correct values, see this page and this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:52:05 pm

Ah, I knew you'd have the answer, Todd!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]