ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

make 360 out of stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Turnermake 360 out of stills
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:46:16 pm

I have been asked to create a soft of 360 shot out of still photos. It’s a pictures of a large hall with the American flag in the center. A photographer too pictures of the flag at the same diameter but photo all around the flag. They are asking me to use these still and make it seem that the flag was video taped in a circle dolly.
How would you create this effect?
I have the photos lined up in order with the flag center in each one but how do I go from still to still smoothly? I know there is no perfect way to transition between stills with out a little bit of a jump but what is the smoothest way? Also how do you achieve this effect without going seemly 80 mph around the flag?

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: make 360 out of stills
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 5:51:45 pm

A dopey producer and a skilled but sadly ignorant photographer, sheesh.

You must first remove the flag from all of the still images before you stitch them together.

Then you will place a new layer into your 3D composition that is ONLY the flag. The flag layer will be 2D, it will have no thickness ,so you will need to decide if it turns to remain oriented toward the camera or if you will attempt to make it appear to have mass.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Karim DaireRe: make 360 out of stills
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:09:03 pm

If I understood you correctly someone shot a full circle around an object with still photos changing position fixed degrees from shot to shot??

I mean, if you only want a 360 rotation with the photos, you simply import them as a picture sequence and place them in your project and adjust the timing with time remapping or the time warp filter if you got too few pictures for a slow move. I guess thats the easy way.... if like another poster proposed you need only the flag and not the hall you got a lot of rotoscoping ahead of you plus fitting it to a faked 3d surrounding and camera move... that should be a little more work, useless work... i hope a picture sequence is enough!

Karim

-Karim-

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: make 360 out of stills
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:53:29 pm

If these people are going to continue to supply you with footage, they should read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laurie TurnerRe: make 360 out of stills
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 12:49:00 pm

I hear ya Dave L. You're right. That should be on every direct/producer's forum page and taught at every film school. Especially audio people feel that pain.

Dave B. and Karim, thank you for your reply and suggestions. I will try out your suggestions. Unfortunetly they refused to re-shoot. I havent' used the time warp filter. This is a good opportunity to try out some other thing in AE I don't normally use.

Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: make 360 out of stills
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:13:44 pm

[Laurie Turner] "...they refused to re-shoot. I havent' used the time warp filter. This is a good opportunity to try out some other thing in AE I don't normally use...."

I don't know how deep your pockets are, but if you discover that the normal AE arsenal of effects won't cut it, you might want to look into frame rate conversion plugins like Twixtor, Magic Bullet or ReelVision. Applied judiciously, they can help smooth things out a bit. By "judiciously" I mean that you tell the software, "Make me one or two new in-between frames".... NOT "Make me seven or eight new in-between frames".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: make 360 out of stills
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:05:46 pm

> I have the photos lined up in order with the flag center in each one but how do I go from still to still smoothly?<

I read your original post as wanting to do a 360 orbit move around the flag in 3D space. But now it seems all you want to do is merely bring the still images in as an image sequence.
That's a simple mechanical operation once your images are registered to the flag. You would do that as stacked layers in Photoshop and then import the images as a composition. The temporal resolution of the sequence is directly related to how many frames you have. Period. If you have Apple's Motion, you can use Optical Flow to smooth out the gaps between the images but the results will always be less than smooth and have a bit of stylization. The end result may require your director reconsider the look and feel of the effect. My suggestion is to present them with several versions of the movie, applying different timing and a few filters to each; you want to make some severe changes that help to mask or to draw attention to the still-image-to-movie effect.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]