ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Win7 +Custom Codec

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex HornungWin7 +Custom Codec
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:53:46 am

Hi,

i'm using the very old lossless codec VBLE. 2 weeks ago i changed my old xp to the new win7. The common installation of the codec per *.inf file and also a manually alternative trough the driver system doesn't work. Is it possible to create an own plugin for ae that contains the codec?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Win7 +Custom Codec
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:12:52 am

[Alex Hornung] "Is it possible to create an own plugin for ae that contains the codec?"

Of course you can but you'll find it a lot easier to use a CODEC that is easily available. You may also want to share your movies with others and it'll get tiresome asking folks to install a CODEC.

What's with the VBLE. 2 CODEC? Haven't heard of it before.

Cheers
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Alex HornungRe: Win7 +Custom Codec
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:01:50 am

yeah i know and the final movie will be xvid/x264 ^^

VBLE is a lil better huffyuv codec, just not commonly used because hes without alpha support and however very old, but got a very better compression.

And pls i got about 400 GB raw material in VBLE and just want to use it in Win7.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Win7 +Custom Codec
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:22:32 pm

A good CODEC is more than just the quality of its compression as you now know. Compatibility, both forward and backward as well as transportability across other systems are also crucial. If I were you I would convert the files to a more common CODEC and work from there. It'll serve you well for this project as well as future projects.

Good luck
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Alex HornungRe: Win7 +Custom Codec
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:02:10 am

You're not me 0^. And if i still know this little trick, the codec will be transportable to other systems. Even if the DirectShow or something else change.

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: Win7 +Custom Codec
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 12:46:48 pm

Hi Alex,

I think one thing that Roland is looking at when he is suggesting another CODEC is the fact that your older and more preferred CODEC is not going to be compatible with newer technology that's out there. And that would include Win7. On the up side of that, Microsoft representatives have released statements that Windows 7 will not restrict 3rd party CODECS in their final version. If that means that the final version has no problems with your VBLE. 2 CODEC then great but I couldn't tell you as I have yet to upgrade to Win7. I can tell you that, however, I've been looking around for support for the VBLE. 2 CODEC and the help sites that I've found are even looking for help on this codec, so that is not a good sign.

My suggestion follows Rolands suggestion as I think you might find a newer CODEC out there that will have the same/similar and maybe even better results for what your looking to do. The developers for this codec may have abandoned it a long while ago and moved on to bigger and better things. Heck, those same developers may have also been responsible for a newer CODEC out there that puts many CODECS to shame.

I would say experiment with a few of the newer ones and see if any of them will do what you need it to do. By the way, what exactly is this little trick you're talking about? If you are willing to share with us, maybe we can come up with an alternate solution to this trick using newer CODECs. Remember, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]