ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is 'incompatible effect/MP off' temporary?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Brunger
Is 'incompatible effect/MP off' temporary?
on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:44:39 am

I am doing a render at the moment and almost the whole comp seems to be rendering on only 1 core..there is alot of Twitch and some wiggle expressions on some flares that may be triggering "the incompatible effect or expression. Multiprocessing is off." thing...

..But does MP then remain off for the rest of the render, or is it supposed to switch on and off as it goes depending on the effects used?

I'm sure there are large chunks of the comp that don't use temporal filters and I could really do with making use of all 8-cores because of a looming deadline!

Question: Is Turbulent Noise an effect that might be a culprit? I've used it as a texture for almost every bit of text in the project!

Cheers for any help.
Jim.

Production Premium CS4 - Mocha v1.5 - FCP 5.1.4
MacPro Quad 3GHz / ATI 1900XT / 8GB RAM / OSX 10.4.11
30" ACD / Decklink SP / SONY PVM-20M4E/ Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / XServe / United Digital RAID
---------------------------------
Production Premium CS2 - Combustion 3 - Mocha v1.0.1
Win XP Pro 32 / Dell Precision T3400 Q6600 / 4GB RAM / NVidia Quadro570 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5s / Sony BVM-20G1E / 2 x Dell 2007FP / Wacom Intuos 3 A4

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Is 'incompatible effect/MP off' temporary?
on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:59:19 pm

If Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing is disabled when rendering a composition, it is not automatically re-enabled during the rendering of that composition.

> Is Turbulent Noise an effect that might be a culprit?

See "When After Effects temporarily disables multiprocessing" for a complete list of effects that cause Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously to be disabled. Turbulent Noise is not on that list.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:59:42 pm

Well, that is a bit pants really then isn't it!

I am starting to really crave AE7 Pro + Nucleo at the moment....I have noticed loads of memory/multiprocessing glitches since we upgraded to CS4, on ALL of our VFX macs.

A few off the top of my head (in addition to the aforementioned fairly major one): -

- RAM Previews take an age to start up when MP is switched on (this is compared to Nucleo firing up the same amount of cores alot quicker)

- Instigating a RAM preview with MP on often results in a crash. AE says it is saving project just before making the RAM preview, but that save point isn't reflected in the file (where does that process save to?)

- In CS4, with MP switched on OR off often I will lose all my RAM cached frames (the green line) totally randomly. Sometimes if I have made a RAM Preview, if I then hit '0' again to play it again the green line disappears and it has to start building from scratch again. Or I could be scrubbing within that green line and suddenly it just disappears!?

- When rendering with MP switched on and 'skip frames' on more than one machine (network rendering TGAs to a central destination folder) the machine that starts second, or is 'behind' will take almost as long to check and skip already rendered frames as it would take to just render them from scratch!! AE definitely says it is skipping them, but takes several minutes per frame to decide if it's been done or not. Doing the same thing in Nucleo with several machines works a dream.

- In CS4, despite alot of tweaking of the MP prefs, no matter how many processors/RAM I leave for other apps, AE totally takes over the mac and hogs all available power by the looks of it. Even surfing Safari is painful. Again, with Nucleo it uses as much as it can but still leave the mac useable for light work at the same time.

- In CS4 (w/MP on) the activity monitor almost NEVER says it is using the CPUs to full capacity. In Nucleo it regularly states 100% CPU activity across the board.

I'm slighty confused by all this, as I was under the impression that CS4 merely used the code from Nucleo under the hood anyway?

Sorry for the rant, but apart from a few nice new tools CS4 has been a living nightmare for us! And of course, any work you've done in it cannot be back tracked to CS3 or AE7!

Fantastic.

Please let me know if there is somewhere else I should be listing these bugs. Cheers.

30" ACD / Decklink SP / SONY PVM-20M4E/ Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / XServe / United Digital RAID
Win XP Pro 32 / Dell Precision T3400 Q6600 / 4GB RAM / NVidia Quadro570 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5s / Sony BVM-20G1E / 2 x Dell 2007FP / Wacom Intuos 3 A4

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 24, 2009 at 5:10:27 pm

> Please let me know if there is somewhere else I should be listing these bugs.

bug-report/feature-request form

Several of the problems that you mention sound like problems that were fixed in the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update. Have you installed that update?

> I'm slighty confused by all this, as I was under the impression that CS4 merely used the code from Nucleo under the hood anyway?

I'm curious about where you heard that. It's not true.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:23:31 pm

We are running 9.0.2.42 on all our machines.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:28:34 pm

[Todd Kopriva] " > I'm slighty confused by all this, as I was under the impression that CS4 merely used the code from Nucleo under the hood anyway?

I'm curious about where you heard that. It's not true."

Can't remember off the top of my head, a few people were saying the same thing though. I only wish it WAS true...then maybe it would work properly! :-(

I will submit a bug report then and see what happens.
Cheers for that Todd.

Jim.

Return to posts index

Michel Lacroix
on Aug 29, 2009 at 7:29:15 pm

Actually, I have been having lots of trouble as well. I am getting the same message, incompatible effects or expressions, multiprocessing is off. ? not sure why, im using dynamic liking maybe? I have contacted Adobe about this without success. I have tried many things. I have a duo core 4 gig machine. nvidia 2700 GC. My system is always crashing as well? Any advide on venues to pursue would be so appreciated as my new client is starting to get red in the face.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 29, 2009 at 7:56:41 pm

> I am getting the same message, incompatible effects or expressions, multiprocessing is off. ? not sure why,

Did you read the page that I pointed to ("When After Effects temporarily disables multiprocessing"), which gives a complete list of conditions that cause Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously to be disabled?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]