ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Layer Masking in mind

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam BellLayer Masking in mind
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:53:31 am

I am big photoshop guy, and I am moving into the world of after effects. The following link is what I have done so far.

Basically I have a particle layer doing its light streak effect, I need that to be like at layer mask in photoshop. So it will show a very high-detailed text layer behind its streaks. How do I set this up? I tried track matting and it seemed to be the right direction, but I don't think I did it right. Any thoughts or ideas?

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: Layer Masking in mind
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:49:28 am

From what I can understand, a track matte is indeed what you want.

A track matte will use the pixels on the layer as transparency for the layer below (using alpha or luminance).
So if you have the particle streaks and use that as a track matte for something else, the particles will not be shown at ALL but will be a mask through which the other layer shows.

Not sure what you may be doing "wrong"...

Return to posts index

Adam BellRe: Layer Masking in mind
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:02:29 am

Well okay, but here is the problem. I don't want to see the entire layer below until the hand has "particulared" itself over the that part. I photoshopped a frame to show you what it should look like. The bright pink text would be the bottom layer that is "being" revealed while the lightstreak masks its way over it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved