ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular 2 - duplicate layers not keeping same particle arrangement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GeersenParticular 2 - duplicate layers not keeping same particle arrangement
by on Aug 23, 2009 at 2:21:03 am

Hi All,

This has broken some of my old setups! A compatibility concern??

So in particular 1.5, which I was using for a number of years, when you duplicated the solid to which particular was applied, you would get two layers of particular, both with the same particle arrangement. If you wanted different particles you'd have to manually change the random seed.

Now I notice that Particular2 randomises the particles each time the layer is duplicated, or each time the layer is placed in a different position in the layer stack - ie, somehow, even though I am not changing the random seed value at all, it seems to be taking a random seed value somehow from the layer index.
Is there any way to stop this?
I can't seem to figure it out.

I posted a similar question in the trapcode forum but have not had a response yet, I am trying here with perhaps a better explanation of what I am trying to figure out.

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Particular 2 - duplicate layers not keeping same particle arrangement
by on Aug 23, 2009 at 4:27:53 am

I'm just going to throw this out there, though it might not be a workable solution for you.

1. Precomp the particles layer, moving all attributes to the new comp.
2. Duplicate the particles precomp (or, inside the precomp, duplicate the particles layer).
3. Set the precomp 'collapse transformations' switch to on. Ordinarily this would be all you need to do, but Particular doesn't work like a normal 3d object. So you need to make a slave camera.
4. Add a camera to the main comp and the precomp. Make sure it has the same lens settings, etc.
5. Parent the precomp camera to the main comp camera. Not the layers themselves, but the properties that you plan to animate (point of interest, position, etc). Now animate the main camera to you heart's delight and see the two sets of identical precomped particles moving in 3d space.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved