ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

water ripple effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Richardsonwater ripple effect
by on Aug 21, 2009 at 5:13:59 pm

im relatively new to AE, but basically what im trying to do is make a layer ripple, as objects pass through it.
I'm simulating rain my making lots of 2-d images fall down, and as they pass through a flat solid, I want it to ripple accordingly, but I have no idea how without manually keyframing it as every raindrop hits.
Any ideas? :D

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: water ripple effect
by on Aug 21, 2009 at 7:05:59 pm

You can use CC Drizzle to create grayscale movie map of raindrops pattering and creating basic ripples and then use that movie to drive a compound effect called Displacement Map.

Or you could use the Drizzle movie with Caustics to create ultra-realistic ripples and surface reflections and refractions.

Beware: These are not beginner's effects.

Return to posts index

Paul RichardsonRe: water ripple effect
by on Aug 22, 2009 at 1:00:15 am

I had a play about with caustistics, but it was far too tedious for the job.
I settled on using radio-waves to create them, as everything is 2-d in a 3-d world it fit quite well. (Im doing a typograhy of sorts for a credits sequence :) )

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: water ripple effect
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 5:56:50 pm

Yar, advanced techniques require extended patience and experience. Stick with AE long enough and Caustics will become a favorite for all kinds of ultra-realistic simulations and fluid effects.

Radio Waves is far too regular to simulate droplets, ripples, or any natural phenomenon.You asked about simulating natural phenomena, you did not indicate that your effect's needs included any flexibility for stylization. Next time, give us more to work on and you'll get more applicable answers and suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved