ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Super wide video wall

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonidas Savvides
Super wide video wall
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:26:13 pm

Hello After effects people !

I've been in the advertising field for almost 12 years now, and oddly enough i just got my first Digital Signage project 3 weeks ago.. so i'm relatively new to this.

So..here's the rub..
I have 128 vertical 42 inch screens in a row.. that's 16 groups, of 8 screens on each group. Every group of 8, has a player assigned to them.
Now.. i want to create a visual with a city skyline on the background, and some people walking from one end to the other ( left to right and vice versa ) . This visual has to be continuous starting from screen number one and ending on screen number 128.
Should i create 16 seamless videos for each group and then synchronize the players?
Thank you in advance,
Leo

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Super wide video wall
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:29:52 pm

Hi Leo,

What resolution must you output to in order to drive the displays, and what will the positioning of the screens be like?

When doing widescreen, I always backtrack to my pixel space from the physical display and its resolution.

Don\'t forget to account for the negative space between displays.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Aug 22, 2009 at 2:06:58 pm

Also, how are you going to split 1 player between 8 different outputs ?
Are these DVD or BLuRay players or Macmini's ?

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:57:07 pm

I've been asked a pretty similar thing:
I wouldn't really wonder what the procedure is in AEX but how you are going to set the playback, this is what is going to determine how you must work the composition. Tomorrow I'll be browsing the different options, i worked with CF readers some years ago but for such a vast array (i have to cover 68 meters) I'd rather think of computers...
I'll let you know if any news.

-Guillem @ Blur Producciones, Madrid.

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 24, 2009 at 5:12:17 pm

that's a nice project.

well important is of coarse the resolution but also the gap.
if the plasma's are like the orion infinite wall then you don't have gap's but with conventional display you have the housing what you have to calculate is the number of pixels per centimeter or inch.
when scaling is used you have to calculate the signalpixels per centimeter / inch
measure the edge of the display and make these gap's also in your composition's otherwise the leg's of the walking people seems broken ;-). don't forget to look how the scanning is of these display's there often overscanned which you have to take in acount.
some display have a integrated vidiwall mode maybe you can use this feature to minimize the count of players. driving the display's native playback will need a extreme budget.
have a look at adtec they have good quality playback devices inthere edje series. they can be synchronised over network. but remember this is lipsync not genlocked. other option is dataton watchout.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 25, 2009 at 3:53:08 pm

Absolutely -- the playback system drives your content creation, and the physical displays drive the design of the playback system.

Other considerations not mentioned include depth (if your displays are not all co-planar) and pixel density, if your displays are not identical.

Like Maurice mentioned, I use Dataton Watchout for things like this, although I too am starting to research CF players for applications like this.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]