ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April HendersonWill Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:18:37 pm

Well you know on non 3d layers, bottom layers are the background and top are the front. However, even in 3d layers, sometimes the same thing occurs with 3d layers regardless of their 3d position assigned coordinates. A 3d position should be a fixed position. Instead I need to go sorting through dozens of layers to find out in what magical order I need to place it so one layer doesn't appear in front of another.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:52:20 pm

[April Henderson] "Well you know "

I don't know this as a bug at all; it just doesn't seem to be an issue for most of us. My layers are always positioned in 3D space exactly where I place them. The user can easily get confused by the conflicts between world and object coordinate systems but the object's ultimate 3D world placement is always exact in my compositions.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

April HendersonRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 7:44:41 pm

Really....? I notice this little error everytime I use AFX. I'll make a screen capture video and post it on youtube.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:43:09 pm

If you consider something a bug, then let us know by filling out the feature-request/bug-report form.

Here's a page that describes what's going on:

"How render order and collapsed transformations affect 3D layers"

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:03:00 pm

Thanks. I might just be me too and or the confusion might lay in precomposed layers. When I notice again I will try and capture it.

Return to posts index

April HendersonHere's a video example.
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:39:48 am

check it out..

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Here's a video example.
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 2:13:48 am

It's not a bug, April.
If you follow the link to the AE Help page Todd posted above, you'll find a list of operations which break the 3D compositing bin.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 2:45:33 am

This isn't an issue of "position". It's an issue of compositing order (or render order, to use other words).

If the explanation in the page that I linked to in my previous answer doesn't explain this adequately, let me know.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:34:45 am

April, there's a 2D layer in the middle of your Comp. That's what's causing the layering issue. You need to keep all 3D layers together, placing a 2D layer between then creates 2 separate 3D world spaces hence the apparent "problem".

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:54:15 am

Thanks for the advice. It seems on either side of the lux layer the anomaly occurs. I moved the 2d text layer in between my 3d layers and the sun just as a test, but it didn't create any problem with my sun layer. Maybe it's just the lux layer.

I'll read up on those other articles listed above. Collapsed transformations of precomposed layers have this issue too? It's still rather a frustrating thing in my opinion. But I'll investigate further.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 21, 2009 at 6:39:54 pm

[April Henderson] "I moved the 2d text layer in between my 3d layers and the sun just as a test, but it didn't create any problem with my sun layer."

Was your sun layer still below the other 3D layers in the timeline? You'd need to place the layer above a 3D layer it's supposed to be behind, then place a 2D layer in between them in order to break it.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 21, 2009 at 6:34:57 pm

This isn't really a bug. It's just the way the AE renderer works.

If you have any 2D layers (including adjustment layers and track mattes) in between 3D layers it will separate the rendering of the 3D layers and the depth sorting will be wrong.

If, for instance, you moved your sun layer in your example to the top of the section with only 3D layers, it would still render properly sorted in depth. As soon as you move it above a 2D layer it's going to basically render in a different 3D universe :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2009 at 5:55:00 am

I was just playing around with some other 3d compositions. Nothing but simple colored layers! Exact same problems! Layers will appear in front of layers depending on order in the timeline. It's a flawed 3d program.

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:17:10 pm

April: If you follow the link posted by Todd, you'll find an comprehensive list of procedures that will break 3D intersections.
Note that everyone in this thread said that this is the expected behavior, and it's perfectly documented in the manual. It's not a flaw or a bug. Do you know any 3D program with adjustment layers, for example? There are some tools which have 2D compositing logic in their very nature.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:02:45 pm

I wasn't referring to my previous composition. I just experimented with a new, large compositions of simply after effects 3d layers (ctrl-shift y) and I noticed the same phenomena, without any 2d layers whatsoever. It's just the simple fact I've known for a long time, the render order dictates often what layers will be visible and not. And certain layer will pop out frequently from various angles.

When I originally asked, the only thing I was told was 3d layers will always appear in their assigned position. But that wasn't exactly true.

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:07:20 pm

April:
2D layers are not the only thing that can break the 3D compositing hierarchy.
Once more, please check the AE help page posted above for a full list.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:52:52 pm

Ok...I will study this more and come back with more intelligent questions/answers.

Return to posts index

Miha KokaljRe: Will Adobe ever Fix that 3d object placement bug?
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:18:28 pm

If this is not a bug why do i get a different result at different camera distances, with the same layer setup?

http://www.shrani.si/f/3O/h2/v0JkKlX/picture-32.png
http://www.shrani.si/f/z/Ne/oksNAsC/picture-22.png

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]