ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting a layer to rotate with a persons head.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathieu Champagne
Getting a layer to rotate with a persons head.
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:13:01 pm

So, this seems as though it should be an easy task, but I have not been able to find a viable way of accomplishing it without faking it. What I have to accomplish is having a simple flat 3d layer rotate with a persons head in 3d space. Basically the shot has a person looking straight forward with a sign to the right of their head counting the number of times they blink. At the end of the shot the person turns their head, and I want the layer counting their blinks to rotate in 3d space as though it were attached to the persons head. For examples, check out MK12's opening sequence for "Stranger Than Fiction". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Getting a layer to rotate with a persons head.
on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:51:00 pm

[Mathieu Champagne] "So, this seems as though it should be an easy task, but I have not been able to find a viable way of accomplishing it without faking it. What I have to accomplish is having a simple flat 3d layer rotate"

A "flat 3D rotate" is an oxymoron.
There's nothing easy about 3D.

You must first create the head as a 3d object which is impossible so forget it. So, you must mask out the head and shoulders and remove them from the background. The head layer must be made 3D and positioned forward of a new background plate.
Then you must create the counter as a 3D object and position it so its anchor point is at the geometric center of the head. Parenting it to the head won't help since the head is not actually going to rotate around its 3D y axis, the movie is simply going to play as the subject turns his head.

You will rotate the counter around the anchor point as the head moves.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]