ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotate image, not mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus VagaRotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:13:50 pm

I'm sure this is an easy one, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it! (It must be too early in the morning)
Nevertheless: I have circular brushed steel image in my comp. I want to rotate it to give the effect of a spinning disc, but want to only reveal a portion of the image. Of course when I rotate the image with the mask, the entire image rotates.
Attempting to "correct" the mask into position as the image rotates beneath is not exact at all, and the mask moves slightly.
Am I missing something simple? Thanks much in advance...

:::::.::::
Life is a Monet splendored thing...
...so take the Monet and run!

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Rotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:09:43 pm

Hi Markus,

If you apply your mask to a solid above the circular image you can use
that as a track matte to your circular image.

Allowing independent control of both mask and object rotation.

Fome adobe on track mattes-
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

-Andy

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Rotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:23:54 pm

Cut the mask, Pre-compose the layer (using the second option in the Pre-compose dialog, "Move all attributes") then paste the mask into the resulting Pre-Comp. Rotate the layer nested inside the Pre-comp. This will let you rotate the layer without affecting the mask applied to the Pre-Comp.

Second method: Create a new Comp-sized solid and place it immediately above your layer. Cut the mask and paste into the solid, then set the solid as a Track Matte for the layer below.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: Rotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:42:56 pm

Hey Adolfo,

Just curious on your suggestion. If you had the mask on the layer and precomposed with *leave attributes in current comp* wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Markus VagaRe: Rotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:56:11 pm

Thanks to you both for the suggestions/solutions. I knew it was relatively easy, but sometimes the mind short circuits, eh.
I ended up using the precompose trick, although for more complex motion, track matte is the way to go, I believe.
Thanks again!

:::::.::::
Life is a Monet splendored thing...
...so take the Monet and run!

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Rotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:09:20 pm

Jason: that would work if there were no changes to the transform properties. If there were, scale, rotation, etc would be applied externally to the Pre-Comp, which is what you don't want in this case, right?

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: Rotate image, not mask
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 5:45:10 pm

Yea...good point, I'm just making sure that my understanding is correct. As my Grandpa always said, there's more than one way to skin a cat! :)

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]