ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow to achieve any effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Igor BurgstallerWorkflow to achieve any effects
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:09:59 am

Hi guys, i'm new on this site, but i visit it daily; very usefull, thank you!

Sorry for my english, i'm from Italy.

Ok, here my question: how do you plan your workflow befor to achieve an effect? I explain it better: before to start compositing, you think about the effects you can use? Or you direct try effects without planning?

I Know AE functions, but often i have much difficult to achieve simple effects..i think i don't know very well all the effects and how they works (i'm studiyng them..). You know all the effects, or each time you look for the right effects and then learn to use them?

Thank you :) (another post is coming eheh..)

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Workflow to achieve any effects
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:16:18 pm

It's a really wide subject, but an interesting question.

Personally: Often I'll have an idea of the look I want to achieve and the way to get there. I'll start with a couple of steps that I think may work. Sometimes this leads me directly where I want to be, and sometimes it doesn't even get me close. Thus starts the tinkering and
tweaking, trying out different combinations of effects,
in different orders etc. It's a fairly organic process that can be a bit hit-and-miss. But through this process you learn a lot about the possibilities of your tools, and it allows for what Bob Ross used to call "happy accidents". You stumble upon unexpected results from combinations of effects. And if it's not what you need right now, it may be something you can use tomorrow.

It's a bit like cooking. As a cook you should know the basic taste of all ingredients. But cooking is something else. And coming up with new recipes is a long process.

That's how it works for me anyway.

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Workflow to achieve any effects
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 9:00:17 am

I agree with Barend. Over my 18 yrs or so, I have a pretty deep knowledge of what each plug in can do and how it can help me achieve a certain look. A LOT of plugs do not produce a look that matches the NAME of the plug itself, but can still be VERY useful. Personally I can visualize the tools and path pretty quickly, and usually a plan b and c as well. I have no clue why, but I seem to be able to manage the complex layering of multiple plugs in my head pretty efficiently. Im guessing its the non stop 18 yrs of work. That said, I am like everyone else, in that, experimenting and finding happy accidents are a part of our 'growth' as animators \ artists. Rarely, am I using a single plug for an effect. I also have a huge collection of effects footage at my 'side' ready to help aid in creating any given look, in most all cases combined with plugs as well.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Igor BurgstallerRe: Workflow to achieve any effects
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:45:02 am

Thank you to both :) (mmm...i think this is not correct english..)

I think my difficults come from a low knowledge and experience..about 1-2 years making booooring things at work. No way to learns something..i'm the only here in office that use AE :(

I learned all by me, not school or similar. I'm concerned to subscribe an AE training in you think they are a valid choose? I mean training of about 40 hours..but i think in 40hours, they will teach only how to open AE eheh..isn't it?

Thank you for all answers :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved