ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rikard lasseniuscontinuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:06:49 am

hi, doing a forest animation and have a problem that i seem to come back to from time to time.

instead of building a 3D forest, one tree at the time, i first did a few different rows of trees (2D comps, trees imported from an illustrator file). i then imported those comps into the main comp, and set them up as rows in 3D, duplicating and moving them around until everything looks nice and random.

the problem is, whatever i do, i can't seem to get them to continuously rasterize (when the camera gets close, they look jaggy). is there no way of doing this?

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:25:33 pm

Hi Rikard,

In addition to "continually rasterize" being selected on your illustrator layer,
you also need to check "collapse transformations" on your precomps.

Its the same button, little sunshine looking guy.

Here is some more info from adobe on Collapsing transformations.

-Andy

Return to posts index

rikard lasseniusRe: continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:34:45 pm

when i do that, the layers ignore everything 3D about them. they just sit there, when i render. as if they were 2D layers...

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:51:45 pm

Hi Rikard,

It sounds like the layers inside of your precomp do not have 3D enabled.
When collapse transformations is performed AE gathers the 3D properties of
a layer from the layer itself.

From Adobe site:

If transformations are not collapsed, a nested composition that contains 3D layers is rendered as a 2D image of the 3D arrangement, using the default composition camera. This prevents the nested composition from intersecting with 3D layers, casting shadows on 3D layers, and receiving shadows from 3D layers in the containing composition. The nested composition is also not controlled by the containing composition’s cameras and lights.

If transformations are collapsed, the 3D properties of the layers in the nested composition are exposed to the containing composition. Thus, the nested composition can intersect with 3D layers, cast shadows on 3D layers, and receive shadows from 3D layers in the containing composition. The containing composition's camera and lights can also control the nested composition.

-Andy

Return to posts index

rikard lasseniusRe: continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:57:02 pm

yeah, the trees are 2D layers.
thanks a lot for your help.

Return to posts index

Kian McKellarRe: continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:31:04 am

This just helped me out while a more recent post about the exact same thing didn't. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kris StrobeckRe: continuously rasterized objects nested in a 3d comp
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:45:39 pm

@Andy George,

You rock, this helped me. I switched on the 3d checkbox in my precomposited layer's object and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]