ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram preview interrupted by mouse.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie Tovell
Ram preview interrupted by mouse.
on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:11:16 am

I need to use another app whilst After Effects is ram previewing but as soon as I click anywhere with my mouse the ram preview stops :(

I really need to find a way to stop this from happening as I have to run audio out of After effects and work/mix it's audio output in a separate app.

It's not just for this reason there are often times where I would like to open and close or scroll functions in After Effects during ram previews but again this causes everything to stop, that's got to be bad for workflow surely? It would speed things up if we could use the GUI at the same time? So whilst previewing our work we could also be preparing the next task.

Is there any way I can do this, anyway at all?

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
Re: Ram preview interrupted by mouse.
on Aug 19, 2009 at 5:12:03 pm

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:14:09 pm

i'm sure you can hack the preference file, but a little gui script called throttle from ae scripts will allow you to more easily enable idle rendering, which will keep ae preview rendering when you switch to other apps.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:14:23 pm

Hi, Kevin.

Do you mean the script will allow the ram preview to continue playback uninterrupted? :) I really really need this function. :)

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
on Aug 19, 2009 at 11:20:35 pm

Oh I see, so perhaps there's a script for ram previewing as well maybe?

I'll have a look, thanks for the pointer, I think this is more than likely a limitation in windows though unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 20, 2009 at 9:29:41 pm

if you haven't checked that out yet, it's called a 'gui script', but it functions like a gui panel in after effects that lets you make changes to settings in a way that is simialr to the preference window... (in reality, as you click the settings, it is executing a script that is modifying the preference file in the background).

i'm pretty sure this will give you what you are after, so definitely check it out.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:55:33 am

I Really appreciate your help Kevin.

Unfortunately the "Idle Rendering" function in Throttle didn't work for me, as soon as I click anywhere inside or outside of After Effects the ram preview immediately stops playback, I need the playback to continue so I can mix the audio in another app which is opened on a different monitor.

I think you may have been thinking of another script, perhaps BG Render, this allows rendering to continue whilst other interactions are taking plaice in AE, I couldn't get that script to actually work, but the creator of the script told me it doesn't allow Ram Preview Playback to continue in that way, he didn't think it was possible to achieve with a script either.

What I've done so far is I've managed to link After Effects to my Daw (Digital Audio Workstation) this means I can create AV compositions over two apps, working with audio and video simultaneously, the problem is After Effects won't continue playback whilst I interact with the Daw.

I'll give Throttle another test, it's already installed but, If I can't find a solution to this, I'm going to have to buy another PC to supplement this one, (which is perhaps for the best anyway) this way I can run the two apps in separate Environments, and After Effects will have to continue playback. .

If you can think of any ideas, it could save me a good $1000 :)

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 21, 2009 at 2:26:41 am

sorry richie, i misunderstood.

i was thinking that you needed ae to keep rendering the ram preview when clicking out of after effects. you're right, the preview will stop playing when ae is not in the foreground.... and that's probably not something that can be overridden.

rendering the comp, then playing through a player in one window while working in another app may work... i'd have to test it at work, but i think quicktime will continue playing a file in the background.

in windows, i was thinking that there used to be a way to assign a process to a cpu. the thinking there is that if you could assign ae to one cpu and the other app to another, then maybe each app would be foreground processes and stay active... but i haven't been able to find anything about that, and it might not actually work that way...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
on Aug 21, 2009 at 4:57:49 pm

It's cool Kevin, I confused the topic a little as well though.

I like the idea of assigning tasks to individual cpu's, I think that I've seen a script that works along similar lines, I'll look in to that, nice suggestion. :)

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
on Aug 21, 2009 at 9:06:34 pm

I gave it a shot, there are lots of little apps that can restrict processes to specific processors but the focusing problem remained and playback was still interrupted.

rendering the comp, then playing through a player in one window while working in another app may work... i'd have to test it at work, but i think quicktime will continue playing a file in the background.

I really need to keep "bouncing out" to an absolute minimum, that's the whole point of slaving the audio app to AE, so I can work on the two in realtime without having to import and export or render between every adjustment.

Also I would no longer be able to see where specific keyframes lay in relation to sections of footage during playback or see where clips are positioned in the timeline etc, it would take a lot of guesswork to key the audio and video to their respective events on the timeline with much acuracey.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]