ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Hurricane

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Cannella3D Hurricane
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 7:20:17 am

I am fairly new to AE and I was wondering what steps or if anyone knows of any tutorials on how to turn this microwave imagery movie of the developement of a hurricane into a 3 dimensional movie like what you would see on the Discovery Channel as an explainer graphic. I believe it needs to be turned into a grayscale map and use the grayscale map as a bump map...and all this animated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Link to image

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3D Hurricane
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:21:59 am

AE's not the best thing in the world for doing 3d graphics. You really want a 3d program.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Peter CannellaRe: 3D Hurricane
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:46:25 am

Thanks. I have a working knowledge of C4D I just thought AE would be the best choice for this project since I assume it would be the easiest to create the grayscale map and the displacement map and then use those to create the vertical relief and just flip the movie into the vertical and throw a geographical map under the image and bam you're done.

How would you recommend attacking this in a 3D program? Right now my main sticking point is figuring out how to create the grayscale map of it. I thought AE would be the avenue for that. If there is a better way I'm certainly open to it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved