ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

roughen edges + credit roll = boiling edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Neitzroughen edges + credit roll = boiling edges
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:16:34 am

I have a credit roll that needs Roughen Edges

The edges are boiling when the text moves - a previous thread described it as "flowing water"

forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/919843#919843

per that thread I pre-composed the roll and applied Roughen Edges to that, but the problem persists.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Aaron NeitzRe: roughen edges + credit roll = boiling edges
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:31:43 am

I figured out part of the problem, but it gets worse:

apply Roughen Edges to Text, do not move that layer, pre-compose, apply move to pre-comp = no boiling edges

But I need to do a credit roll, so how can I accomplish this if my initial Text can't be moved?

I can create an initial comp that's 1920x20000 pixels and scroll that.... but then I need to severely alter AE's memory cache so it can "allocate an image buffer" and render times per frame are about 30x higher than normal.

in an ideal world if the credits were LOCKED I would just render out a huge TGA file, import that, and scroll it. Easy. But credits are always changing till the last possible momement.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: roughen edges + credit roll = boiling edges
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:53:02 am

Make several different text block precomps and parent them to each other. That way you don't have any huge single files.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2009 at 5:33:26 pm

That seems like the best approach.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:14:41 pm

AH! Render out 1080x20000 TGA of credits with Roughen Edges applied.

bring back in to new comp. Use as 3d layer and dolly camera down Y axis. It's *MUCH* quicker to render than trying to Y translate that TGA in 2d space. This way I can make quick changes to credits and not have to adjust a bunch of pre-comps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]