ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular Freeze Time Popcorn Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James DavisParticular Freeze Time Popcorn Effect
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:09:01 am

Ok... I've been learning slowly but am having trouble with this one... I'm attempting to create an effect where I throw a deck of cards up in the air and they all kinda freeze in space, then I can walk thru them and push them out of the way... then make them all fall to the ground. The best example of the effect I'm trying to acheive is a scene from the movie Big Fish where Ewan MacGregor is walking thru frozen time and walks thru some popcorn hanging in mid air and pushes the kernals away to get thru as they fall to the ground. Here's a video clip of the scene I'm talking about on YouTube:

The effect starts at :44 and goes to 1:00... I've been trying to acheive this same kinda look but can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong with Particular 2.0... maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any advice or suggestions would help tremendously.

Return to posts index

Alan ParmaRe: Particular Freeze Time Popcorn Effect
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 9:06:18 am

some more details like your particular settings and what exactly the problem your encountering is would help, but here are my ideas:

1. animate the physics time factor from 1 to 0 to freeze your particles.
2. under physics/air, animate the spherical field (strength, position, radius, etc.) to push the particles to wherever.

hope this helps.

(i'm referencing particular 1.5, so i'm not sure if they added more controls for what I mentioned)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved