ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workign Color Space for HD Project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Lawrence
Workign Color Space for HD Project
on Aug 19, 2009 at 12:51:51 am

Hi All,

I am working on a project that's final output will be 1920x1080 29.97 HD Video for broadcast. One of my collegues said that we should work in sRGB IEC61966-2.1 Color Space with Lineraize Working Space on (16 bit). We are not working with any footage, it's all either 3D or 2D elements and a lot of gradients.

The problem is that I have already built my comp with no color management on. So naturally when I turn Linearize on, it completely changes the look. I have done many HD project before and this has never been an issue. Do I need to manage my color space for this type of project?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Re: Workign Color Space for HD Project
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:32:05 am

Enabling CM for your project will help making color more consistent, especially if you are working with other CM-aware applications, such as Photoshop. To take fulll advantage of it, you really want to calibrate your computer display with a monitor calibration device (some of them can be bought now for under $100!)

Linearizing the color space is a choice, not a requirement. It makes color/transparency/blend operations follow the same behavior as "real light", sort of speak. Yes, it will change the look of your project, so if you decide you like that behavior, it's better to enable when you start working on a new project.
The most typical project working space for HD content is HDTV REC.709

There's a very comprehensive white paper on CM in AE available here:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/aftereffects/articles/color_management_workflow...

I think taking a look will really make things more clear.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:00:42 pm

Adolfo,

I export HD 1080i sequences out of my Harris NLE in their proprietary AVI format into AE. Harris has supplied a plug-in that allows AE to work with the files as well as view the output on a HD reference monitor. I normally add color correction, supers, effects, etc. and then render a Quicktime animation file that will then be imported back into the NLE. This seems to have worked well for me but I am curious about color management. Will changing my project over to HDTV (Rec. 709) as well as interpreting the footage as HDTV (Rec. 709) provide me with any benefits? I am working in a closed loop system and rarely have to share my projects with anyone else. Finished projects are transferred to XDHD discs via HD-SDI for broadcast.

Lee
CTV Calgary

Return to posts index

Joe Lawrence
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:25:43 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to work with HDTV Linearized Work Space. Something weird is happening though, when I preview it bands really bad. However, when I am parked or output a movie it renders great. Any idea why this would be happening? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:44:28 pm

Sorry, I've never seen that :(

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

Joe Lawrence
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:36:37 am

That's interesting that you have never heard of this problem. I have it on multiple computers (mac and pc). It looks great when I am parked and when I do a real render, but with an AE preview it bands really bad. My preview settings are all set properly too. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]