ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shape Layer oddness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken LatmanShape Layer oddness
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:58:23 pm

I encountered an oddness that I was wondering if anyone else has.

I have a shape layer that is a star.

First I did this: I set the layer itself (not the shape) to rotate counter clockwise 4 times.
I then made this layer 3D and changed it's x orientation to about 65°.
I then decided I wanted the star to become smaller towards the end. I set one keyframe same at the begining to 100 then at the end to 0. As the you progress down all of a sudden it looks like the perspective changes abruptly.
I tried isolating the shape layer with all its attributes to a composition but that didn't change the behavior.
I tried have the shape itself change size and rotation while allowing the layer to maintain that 65° position. still the same.
When I put the shape layer and its rotation and scale properties into a composition and then make that composition a 3D layer with a 65° angle, no problem.

Am I missing some rule of AE now with shapes? i knew the order of render is M(masks) E(effects) T(transformations). How do shape layers fall into this model?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Shape Layer oddness
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:32:46 pm

> i knew the order of render is M(masks) E(effects) T(transformations). How do shape layers fall into this model?

"Within each raster (non-vector) layer, elements are applied in the following order: masks, effects, transformations, and layer styles. For continuously rasterized vector layers, transformations occur before masks and effects."

(from the "Render order..." section of After Effects Help)

Shape layers are vector layers, so the order is 1) transformations, 2) masks, 3) effects.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]