ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trap light

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SalibaTrap light
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:08:17 pm

Hi, well i built a closed corridor with an open door to a room. Both room and corridor where built in 3D space using flat images obviously. They are completely closed meaning walls, floor and ceiling.

Now here's the thing. I want to put a flickering light in the room. But the problem is that while it turns on and off and so on.. the light appears in the corridor too.

I attached the picture of my "building". Please help me sort out this thing. Is there any special effects or workaround i can do??

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Trap light
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:53:21 pm

try setting the wall that separates the room from the corridor to cast shadows and set the the walls in the corridor to accept shadows in the layer material properties (also, the light will need to be set to cast shadows).

that way the separating wall should block light to the other surfaces and give you what you are looking for.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Trevor GentRe: Trap light
by on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:05:49 pm

Hey Mark,

You could try twirling down the layer settings for the corridor layers and go to material options then find "accepts lights" and check it as "no". You will probably then have to adjust the color of the layers to better suit the lighting.

Another thing you could try is using spot lights as you can actually aim them so theyre just affecting the room itself and you could even have some of the light "bleed out" into the hallway for a more natural look.

Just a few suggestions.

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Trap light
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:16:08 pm

Steve Holmes has a really helpful tutorial at he shows how to do almost exactly what you have described.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved