ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can you control a mask shape path with a slider.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie TovellCan you control a mask shape path with a slider.
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 1:20:21 pm

Hi.

Is it possible to control a mask shape path by linking it to an expression slider or other control like the rotate x,y,z controls?

I have a number of layers forming a complex shape in a composition, all of the layers are controlled from one Rotate y control wich inturn is controled by trapcode soundkeys so the shape forms and deforms in time to a drum tack.

I would like to refine areas of the shape using mask shape paths by linking the path to the same rotate y parameter that is being controlled by trapcode, but it looks like mask shape paths have to be controlled via keyframes on the timeline and I don't know a way to link them to the rotate y control that the rest of the shape responds to.

I'm pretty sure there is a way, but I just can't remember how?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Can you control a mask shape path with a slider.
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:30:07 pm

How much control do you need over the actual shape? You can always link the expand mask propertie to a slider.
You could also put the masked thing in a precomp and control time remapping with an expression linked to a slider.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Richie TovellRe: Can you control a mask shape path with a slider.
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 4:18:26 pm

I'm not sure I'm %100 with you , I don't need a great deal of control, something close to changing a rectangle to a triangle and then back again.

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Can you control a mask shape path with a slider.
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 4:04:29 pm

You can't control the actual mask shape directly, but you can control the solid that the shape is on. Or am I misunderstanding your goal?

Barend

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2009 at 4:38:45 pm

Your understanding me correctly I think, I need to control the mask shape path, without it being tied to the composition timeline, I think I once read of a way that the two start and end shapes could be key framed and then toggled between at will using a controller like an expression slider, but the place of the cursor in the timeline had no effect on the mask path, it was somehow disabled, the only thing controlling the shape of the mask was the slider assigned to the mask shape path.

When I try and pick whip the control I want to use to the mask shape path stop watch (after creating my two start and end shapes) I get an error saying. . .

Return to posts index

Filip VanduerenRe: Can you control a mask shape path with a slider.
by on Aug 16, 2009 at 7:08:36 pm

You actually need to add an expression to the Mask Shape, not the slider.
This will work:

valueAtTime(effect("Slider Control")("Slider"));

Now the slider controls the timing of the mask Shapes

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2009 at 7:20:11 pm

Oh nice, absolutely awesome, thanks Flip :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]