ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking problems im going to cry :(

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Read
Tracking problems im going to cry :(
on Aug 15, 2009 at 1:25:43 pm

Ok, Hello I have been trying to track in After Effects for about 3 weeks now. I watched every tutorial that explains it on this website and on Andrew Kramers and it just wont work :( What I'm trying to do is start working on Set Extensions but after 100 test, the matte painting always jumps around and jitters WHY? I put in my tracking options if the track goes below %95 percent then it should stop, and It never stops just once in awhile so I know my tracking points are fine. I really feel like it happens when it switches from one Null to the next... Im working with panning shots and multiple track points. Let me show you an example of what i tried so far and how bad it looks.

Test 1:

Test 2:

If anyone wants me to upload the project/footage files I will do that to.. I feel like im doing everything right I dont understand why it wont work

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
Re: Tracking problems im going to cry :(
on Aug 15, 2009 at 5:16:24 pm

I couldn't watch the quicktimes because I'm in iPhone with slow connection.

First, I'd try Mocha AE for tracking - gives better results and is bundled with CS4.

If that's not an option: try smoothing keyframes using either an expression or the Smoother. That usually removes some of the jitter that comes from tracking compressed material. Personally I often add a subtle amount of Remove Grain before tracking to smooth out chroma subsampling. Or only track the green channel (which is usually cleanest) by using Shift Channels and substitute G for R and B > precompose and track.

Hope this helps.

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

James Read
on Aug 15, 2009 at 5:50:19 pm

Ok well, Mocha would be awesome I tried it and got some amazing tracks with it but I read so many tutorials on how to add the tracking data into After Effects which I did, but how do you add tracking data for a panning shot?

Return to posts index

James Read
on Aug 15, 2009 at 6:50:23 pm

Ok, I did try Mocha which gave me excellent results when viewing how well my track stayed, however.. I read many tutorials on how to add my track data into AE and I finally understand it but how do you do multiple null's? Because my shot is a pan so I need to parent them together. How would I set this up in MOCHA and what am I suppose to use Corner PIN or Transform?

Return to posts index

robert craghead
on Aug 15, 2009 at 7:45:09 pm

Completely agree with Barend. Mocha is the way to go. Remember too that it is still software and you may need to keyframe by hand for a few frames. Seems daunting but usually it's only a couple of frames that are screwed up.

Good luck!

Rob

Robert Craghead
Founder
Ten Stories
2775 Kurtz Street, Suite2/3
San Diego, CA 92110
T: 619.295.5650 x101 F: 619.295.4838

rob@tenstories.com
http://www.tenstories.com

Return to posts index

robert craghead
on Aug 15, 2009 at 10:54:44 pm

Did you try 4 point track with corner pin with AE? I only saw a low res version of your movie and don't see the jitter.

With the object being out of view in the beginning, you may have to hand keyframe some frames usually not too bad if you add a motion blur and/or a smoother.

With stuff like this, there is no 1 way, only many options, and sometimes need to go old school to get perfect.

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Aug 16, 2009 at 5:32:27 am

I agree with robert, I cant see the jitter you see. Old school techniques,4 point tracking and some motion blur. No tutorial is going to do anything but explain the tool and its settings related to that one sample.

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Stuart Elith
on Aug 17, 2009 at 1:49:17 am

Another option to look into if you aren't going to go the Mocha route is the TrackerViz script (which you can google). It allows you to do a few tracks and then average them, so that the little jitters and variations from the track get evened out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]