ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Match move dilemma

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser3D Match move dilemma
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:30:14 pm

Let me describe the shot I'm working on so you can have a bit of context for the problem I'm having. I'm working on a shot of someone standing in a spaceship corridor as the camera pushes in on them.

The subject was shot against green screen, and the footage was matchmoved using PFtrack. The "environment" for the actor was created in photoshop, and then made into a 3D box using the Vanishing Point tool, and then brought into After Effects as a series of 3D planes arranged to represent the corridor. The effect is actually really surprisingly convincing.

What I would LIKE to do is be able to use some of After Effects 3D lights to create some subtle lighting effects, lights from consoles blinking, etc..... All of this works for within my 3D environment in After Effects, but doesn't effect my subject because this isn't a 3D layer. If I make it a 3D layer, in order for it to be effect by 3D lights also, then now the footage is floating around in 3D space with the rest of the Planar elements, but obviously doesn't look correct because there is a REAL camera move going on within the shot.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of expression or anything that would essentially take your After Effects Camera data, and apply the inverse transformation to a particular layer. That way, the shot of my subject could stay in the exact same relative position to the camera, so that the After Effects camera isn't effecting it in any way, but yet still can be considered "3D" by After Effects standards so that it can be effected by the 3D lights.

Does anyone have any ideas, or can point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: 3D Match move dilemma
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 8:00:29 am

You can basically convert your foreground layer to a 3D layer, and parent it to AE's 3D camera. You'll have to manually position and orient the layer relative to the camera, since your cam will not be in default position anymore.

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved