ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Newbie Workflow Question....Help Out?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony BrittanNewbie Workflow Question....Help Out?
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 12:56:50 pm

Thanks in advance! I've been working in FCP for years and finally decided to take the leap to CS4 to add After Effects to my arsenal.

My question is about workflow. Most of my work (commercials, TV episodes, etc) deals with Apple ProRes (non-HQ) 1080i60 footage and timelines in FCP. So what would my ideal project / comp settings be in AE to make them ready to roll in my FCP projects. Also, will I be able use my ProRes footage in AE comps / projects (ie does AE play nice with ProRes)?

Using Mac Pro Octo Core (late 2008), 8gigs ram, tons of hard drives (internal / external with eSATA raids as well), Matrox MXO2, FCP 6.0.6, Adobe Production Premium CS4

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
islandshoreproductions.com

Return to posts index

robert cragheadRe: Newbie Workflow Question....Help Out?
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:53:10 pm

From my experience, with After Effects its all about the export. In AE, we usually create all projects in 1080p comp size for future considerations, and export to the appropriate codec for editing in FCP.

In A DVCProHD1080i FCP sequence we would render in that codec from AE. Compressing the file, though, sometimes does weird stuff. In this case we render out to a less compressed format (animation, None), although these are much larger in size.

In the end what looks good is what you should use.

Hope this helps.

Robert Craghead
Founder
Ten Stories
2775 Kurtz Street, Suite2/3
San Diego, CA 92110
T: 619.295.5650 x101 F: 619.295.4838

rob@tenstories.com
http://www.tenstories.com

Return to posts index

Tony BrittanRe: Newbie Workflow Question....Help Out?
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 1:35:34 pm

Thanks Rob! Much appreciated. So...does ProRes work in AE? This us some very cool stuff. I'm excited to dig in once I finish my current project in FCP.

By the way...I'm from San Diego :-) Grew up in Penasquitos and Poway. Good times!

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
islandshoreproductions.com

Return to posts index

robert cragheadRe: Newbie Workflow Question....Help Out?
by on Aug 15, 2009 at 7:35:44 pm

Nice. It's perfect weather in SD right now.

Prores will work in AE. It's a QuickTime component so will work in any QuickTime component software. Will have to check on the export settings in AE, but I think they will render to as well.

When rendering, may want to choose export (instead of render) and look through the codec options for the one you want.

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]