ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Displaying layers outside of active comp frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad BussDisplaying layers outside of active comp frame
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:36:12 pm

How can I set the Viewers to render layers as more than just wireframe when they're outside of the active frame? When working w/ 3D layers, I need to see the other layers w/ texture maps displayed like in a 3D app.

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Displaying layers outside of active comp frame
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:13:19 am

Unless everyone has been keeping secrets from me, there is no way to do this. It might seem odd if you're used to working in a 3D programme, but you don't really need to see fully rendered objects outside of the frame, because your viewers won't see them.

You can change the camera view to make these objects visible. Or you can create a new camera, pan around, then delete it when you're done.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Brad BussRe: Displaying layers outside of active comp frame
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 2:02:21 am

Thanks for the reply. Well actually, there would be a huge advantage to the 3D workflow to have it work like a 3D app's viewports. In a 3D app, you have a viewport for your active camera that you set to have a cropped frame equal to whatever aspect ratio you'll be rendering to, so 1.78, 1.85 or whatever. Then if you split your workspace to 4 viewports, the other orthographic/perspective viewports are rendering all textures on all geometry within the entire viewport. That's what I'd like to do; I have my AE project split to 2 viewports; 1 for the active camera with cropped framing, and the other is also cropping, but I don't want cropped framing in that viewport, I want the entire viewport to render everything. Is there really no way to do this in AE?

For now I'm taking your advice on creating a second camera, and moving that way back to fit everything in the frame, and then zooming the frame to fill the viewport, but then I have to navigate by transforming the camera and dealing with the perspective.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved