ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3ds Max / AFX Integration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Klein3ds Max / AFX Integration
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:56:39 pm

Hi. I just began learning to integrate 3DS and AFX using RPF files and there's definitely some cool stuff you can do. However, I just came across a tutorial on Cinama 4D / AFX integration and was blown away. Being able to pretty much export an AFX composition, with all objects (including nulls)and cameras on their own layer, in 3D space, is obviously a huge benefit. Is Cinama 4D really that far ahead of 3DS when it comes to AFX integration, or am I missing something?

One thing I'd like to do is put a null (dummy) object in a 3D scene, and then in AFX, link a particle emitter to the location of that null. Is there a way to do this with 3DS/RPF. I know this would be possible with Cinema 4D. An answer to this, and any general info on 3D/AFX integration and what 3D program is best, is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

jeff dobrowRe: 3ds Max / AFX Integration
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:05:23 pm

Yes...RPF is very limited.

You want Max2AE by
All objects, lights, camera settings..etc...all animated parameters from MAX into AE.
And actually from AE into Max as well. Go back and forth tweaking lights, cameras. object animations..etc..etc.

Extremely powerful....

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3ds Max / AFX Integration
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:16:38 pm

There are several tutorials and articles linked to from the "Importing and using 3D files from other applications". You could peruse these and see if they give you a good sense of what the features are and how easy they are to use.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

Jeff KleinRe: 3ds Max / AFX Integration
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 8:18:16 pm

Thanks guys.

Those tutorials are actually what lead me to believe that Cinema 4D was better than 3DS at integrating with AFX. They were still very helpful though.

It seems like the Max2AE might do exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved