ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to manage 2 or more editors working simultaneously on single project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gianfranco Maiullari
How to manage 2 or more editors working simultaneously on single project
on Aug 12, 2009 at 4:03:50 pm

Please help me!

We are working with massive project of animation(maybe 8 min), a lot of layer, vectors, video, image etc etc.
this is the first time for us with a big project and we don`t rise before this kind of problem.

Someone can spend some word about the good way to share a project between more editors?(is it possible?)

We are working in this way:
every editors are working on different comp
and at last(I hope one day!!)we would make a big project with every single project.
Every one have the media file in local and at last we share-collect everything in a watch folder.... and render...
is it right?
suggestion?

thank a lot at all!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to manage 2 or more editors working simultaneously on single project
on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:28:32 pm

The ONLY way to do this effectively is to have each editor work on separate portions, and to work on them in DIFFERENT AE projects.

If all the workstations have the same AE project open, you can NOT make changes on Workstation A and expect the changes to modify the project open on Workstation B. Each workstation would overwrite the changes made to the project. They would NOT add changes to the existing project.

To have multiple editors work on the same project file is to invite disaster.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
David Johnson
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:54:47 am

As Dave said, you assign sections to various animators as separate projects. I'd also strongly recommend a team lead responsible for coordinating everything and bringing together the master project.

The coordination part is very important in two main ways:

[1] To make sure things like fonts, colors, resolutions, codecs, etc., etc. are consistent with everyone who touches the project. One approach to that is to create one master project and, to the degree possible, import all external media and make presets for common text & effects, comp templates, a naming convention and a folder structure. Then, save out copies to pass to the various animators.

[2] If it is necessary and practical in your situation to work with the same media via network storage, it would be the team lead's resposnsibilty to find ways to prevent various animators from altering source media and affecting other animators work (i.e., if someone takes an image into Photoshop, etc.). The standard approach to that is to threaten lives ... or, at least, jobs. ;~)

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on Aug 15, 2009 at 2:52:35 pm

I've coordinated many projects where we had multiple animators/compositors collaborate like this. Like David suggests I start out designing a master project template that has all footage, source materials, and some compositions prepared. Forcing one workflow for all animators will ensure consistent looks and specs - and probably save a lot of time setting up.

We usually piece together the edit along the way, parallel to animating. Every night we'll render what we've got, sketches and finals. We place them in the edit to get a feel for the flow and consistency. That way we don't get surprises on the final day and we spread rendering over the project time.

Barend

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]