ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blood drop from camera down into scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Powers
Blood drop from camera down into scene
on Aug 12, 2009 at 2:29:15 pm

So, the effect I'm going for is a blood droplet that falls in slow motion from the camera lens down into a scene of a person looking upward.

I'd like the scene to start looking through the blood. All red and liquid distorted. Then, as the droplet falls, it gets small and we see distortion/reflection in the drop as it goes downward.

I'd also like to, but don't need to, see the drop falling from the side as the camera rotates around it.

So, I was trying out Mr. Mercury and got some nice drop looks (by lowering velocity and x y values so it remains a "bubble". But, all i could get for the fall drop from the camera was to increase and decrease the life/death size of the particles. i don't like how this looked. So...if any ideas pop into any heads here, i'd love to gain from your insights, Thanks!

-Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Walczak
Re: Blood drop from camera down into scene
on Aug 12, 2009 at 3:16:40 pm

My first inclination is to use C4D to do the drop, but if that isn't at your disposal, then perhaps the link below to one of Mr. Rabinowitz's wonderful tuts will help you establish the look of a bloody surface....

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/effecting_fractal...

Hope it helps!

What makes you explode?
http://www.explosivegraffix.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 12, 2009 at 4:15:54 pm

flying around the drop as it falls would be tricky in ae... you'd be faking it for the most part, animating highlights and some sort of reflection map to make it look like you were moving around the drop. and, of course, having to create a 'scene' as a backdrop that will move with the camera movement...

if you like the mr. mercury drop that you have, rather than animating the fall of the drop within the effect, make the layer 3d and animate the movement by animating the layer's position (probably z position) to make it fall away from the camera.

that would probably be more realistic.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris Powers
on Aug 12, 2009 at 4:24:22 pm

Kevin and Mark, thanks for the input.

I tried out Aaron's tutorial and used the glass effect to give my red fractal a liquid sheen, then layered that over the video background I want the drop to fall into (using Darken blending mode "I think" not for sure since AE crashed and i need to re-do it after I post this ;) ) Then I put that whole thing into Mr. Mercury and turned down the velocity to get a nice droplet shape. Fiddling with the death and birth size of the droplets, I got the drop to start covering the entire scene (so all we see is the shiny, bloody, distorted view of whats below) Then, as the birth sizes get smally, the drop seems to "fall" into the distance, distorting the image inside it as it falls and revealing the real image. AND, its got a nice liquid look thanks to Aaron's tutorial on that glass effect.

So, I may try tweaking it some more on the second build, but this turned out pretty nice. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Chris Powers
on Aug 12, 2009 at 4:57:10 pm

UPDATE: I just re-built the effect and added a fast blur to both the background and drop. The drop starts in focus and blurs out as it falls and the background comes into focus - that reall pushes the realism, I like it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]