ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drag and drop 2:3 pulldown removal?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin AllenDrag and drop 2:3 pulldown removal?
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:11:57 am

Hey everyone,

If I just drag my clip (Which has 2:3 pulldown added so it can be compressed as 60i) into my 23.976 framed timeline will pulldown be removed automatically?

I've tried this but I feel like something is wrong with the footage, any suggestions or am I just losing it XD?

I guess it would help to say I have after effects CS4

Your friend,

Kevin A

Return to posts index

Mark WalczakRe: Drag and drop 2:3 pulldown removal?
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 1:39:44 pm

Hey Kevin,

I'm no wiz at frame rates, but I do know that Andrew Kramer has an amazing plugin for doing this type of thing on his website. Here is a link:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/fps.php

Hope this helps!

What makes you explode?
http://www.explosivegraffix.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Drag and drop 2:3 pulldown removal?
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 2:56:44 pm

hi kevin,

[Kevin Allen] "If I just drag my clip (Which has 2:3 pulldown added so it can be compressed as 60i) into my 23.976 framed timeline will pulldown be removed automatically?"

not exactly... if the pulldown was created with 2 duplicate whole frames for every five frames, then yes, but that is not the way a typical pulldown is created. it is normally created by interlacing 2 out every five frames to create smoother motion, and i believe that is what you have.

you'll need to tell ae what the pulldown cadence is for that clip, or let ae try to guess it.

to determine the cadence yourself, select the footage in the project window and choose file>interpret footage>main. make sure that ae is not separating fields. then double click the footage and use the right arrow key to step through it. you are looking for the order (cadence) of interlaced frames ('s' frames) and whole frames ('w' frames). ex: if you see 2 intelaced frames then 3 whole frames, the cadence is sswww.

once you have that, you can use the interpret footage settings again and set ae to separate fields and then choose that cadence from the pulldown dropdown menu.

or you can try hitting the guess cadence button, and it usually work out.

after that, the footage will be 23.976fps, so you should work with it in a comp of the same frame rate.

note: if this is an edited clip (not a single shot) and it had been edited with footage that had not had the pulldown removed prior to editing, then you may have problems. if this is the case, you'll need to check the cadence at every edit to see if it changes. if it does there will be added work to do....

also, andrew's frc won't remove a pulldown, but it is an easy (and free) way to change the frame rate of a piece of footage from, say, 60i to 24p, but there are some other techniques to get better results.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin AllenRe: Drag and drop 2:3 pulldown removal?
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:06:36 pm

Thanks!

I just tried this and it works, thank you very much for the fast and accurate response!

Your friend,

Kevin A

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]