ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Limits on Comps???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David YowellLimits on Comps???
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:53:32 pm

I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to. I have a project that I am working on and I want to have approximately 16 different comps. However, when I start to do this, after I have about 12 or 13 comps on the tabs above the timeline, I am no longer able to see the other comps. Is there a limit to the number of comps that I can have in one project or am I missing something.

I hope that I'm explaining this well enough for someone to be able to answer my question. Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Limits on Comps???
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:13:04 pm

If there is a limit, I'm very surprised I haven't found it yet as I've had many AE projects with literally hundred of comps and precomps ... you should be able to just scroll the timeline window side-to-side to see the others, although I've found it easier to just open and close various comps as I need them rather than keep scrolling back and forth.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Limits on Comps???
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:33:28 pm

The closest thing to such a limit that I know of is a bug that is pretty hard to uncover except with some multitudinous things like paint strokes: After Effects has a hard time showing all of the items in an outline (layers and properties in the Timeline panel, footage items and folders in the Project panel, etc.) if the total number of vertical pixels that would be required to display the whole list is more than a very large number. In practice, this means that it has a hard time displaying more than a couple thousand layers. I doubt that this is what you're running into.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

Rob DahlRe: Limits on Comps???
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 9:19:32 pm

This is true with CS3 anyway...

When there are more tabs above the timeline that can be shown, a very thin bar is displayed just above the tabs. It is the same color as the tabs and looks like it is part on the frame. If you click and drag this "bar" you can see the tabs scroll left and right.

Hope this helps.

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved