ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

keyed animal needs shadow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
josh coynekeyed animal needs shadow
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:40:03 pm

I have keyed footage of a goat. The key is excellent, but I am having a problem adding the shadow. I have tried pretty much everything out there from adding lights, cameras, floor/ground layer, and all types of effects/filters. Everytime I end up with only one or two matching properly. But all four legs matching the composited shadow just isnt working. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: keyed animal needs shadow
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:09:12 pm

Have you tried using a second instance of the keyed footage itself?

Whether and how well this method works depends very much on the footage and background, but you could try using your choice of the many methods to fill a copy of the keyed subject footage with black, put it below the main layer, make a it a 3D layer and rotate it to where the shadow should fall, drop its opacity way down (and/or use a blending mode), add a fast blur, and add a graded mask to give it falloff.

I hope that works for you since it sounds like you've put yourself through the ringer trying every other way.

Return to posts index

josh coyneRe: keyed animal needs shadow
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:09:32 pm

Dave, I will give it a try. I did try this first, but I kinda half assed it. Perhaps I can make it work with some effort.
Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: keyed animal needs shadow
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:17:04 pm

Glad to help, Josh. I'm sure you'd realize this, but I forgot to mention that method is more render intensive than most effects-based shadows so whether it's useful in a particular situation also depends very much on comp size, length, machine horsepower, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved