ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotating causes blur?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy SchoenwaldRotating causes blur?
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:28:02 pm

I'm working in AE CS3 and it seems like any type of manipulation I do to my footage results in a blurred crappy image. I've posted an example of a slight rotation correction that I applied to a clip and you can see the astoundingly awful results.

My footage is interlaced SD and interpreted for lower field dominance. I export via the dv settings. I've tried exporting both the DV/DVCPro as well as Apple ProRes with pretty much the same results.

What could I be doing wrong or is it pretty much just impossible to manipulate interlaced SD footage?

Return to posts index

Chris BrearleyRe: Rotating causes blur?
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:01:11 pm

A simple rotation shouldn't cause it to blur like that. Have you actually stablized the footage or just put a rotation on it?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rotating causes blur?
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:50:40 pm

Are you separating fields for this footage when you import it?

"If you want to use interlaced or field-rendered footage (such as NTSC video) in an After Effects project, you get the best results if you separate the video fields when you import the footage. After Effects separates video fields by creating a full frame from each field, preserving all of the image data from the original footage.

Separating fields is critical if you plan to make significant changes to the image. When you scale, rotate, or apply effects to interlaced video, unwanted artifacts, such as crossed fields, are often introduced. By separating fields, After Effects accurately converts the two interlaced frames in the video to noninterlaced frames, while preserving the maximum amount of image quality. Using noninterlaced frames allows After Effects to apply edits and effects consistently and at the highest quality. "

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web

Return to posts index

Jeremy SchoenwaldRe: Rotating causes blur?
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:33:44 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the fields are correctly separated - lower field dominance. Now does it matter if they change after its been imported? For instance its imported as lower field, then turned off, then lower field again?

I did stabilize the clip but that only effected the beginning of the clip and nothing changed except for a 1 degree rotation on the frame sampled above. I ran a test on another clip that I didn't stabilize and I come up with the same results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved