ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy MessingerThe Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 9:15:33 am

Hi,
I've searched for this one, but couldn't find any reference...
First of all, I would be very happy to know how to attach picture to a message here, on the forum, or can't I?
It's just very simple to show the picture of the effect than to tell about it...

Anyway, I want to simulate the effect of the scene where Neo shots one of the agents at the roof of the building, and the agent is bending down many times a second and not getting the bullets. it's a few frames when you see his upper body in many positions.

I duplicated a few layers of me doing the same, and using mask (to take only my upper body) and lowering down the opacity it looks preaty dawn good.

BUT,
I want to make it more Matrix-like... The agent chest and hands are ghosted-like, and i can't figure out how to do it.
It's hard to explain in words. it's like his hands are moving down and you see like leftovers of the frames before it, like ghosting, but very 'crowded' ghosting.
Hope you get the idea...
Any help?
Roy

Return to posts index

Chris BrearleyRe: The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:21:25 am

Would motion blur look similar to what you are after? Maybe if you animate the arms with motion blur on inside a precomp then freezeframe it to capture the blur then comp the still of the arm without the blur back on top?

Return to posts index

Roy MessingerRe: The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:40:52 am

First, can I upload picture here?

regarding your suggestion, the final output shows the agents hands are multiplied for about 10 times in one frame...
I think this maybe complicated to do with your idea, which seems good, but maybe there's an easy way doing so.
Because in your method I will need to freezeframe the hand for about 10 times in 10 different positions, right?

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:02:10 pm

Hi Roy,

You should be able to upload an image - the icon above the message box that looks like a camera.

You might want to check out this tutorial by Eran Stern. It doesn't deal directly with the effect you're talking about, but I'm sure it will give you some ideas.

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Roy MessingerRe: The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:21:57 pm

Hi!
Ok, Succeeded in uploading it, but I think I made a mess... put it the Demo reel section. Sorry for that.
Anyway, here it is:
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/matrix-agent-jitter

Return to posts index

Chris BrearleyRe: The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:30:40 pm

It might work if you do a fairly quick animation or actually put cc force motion blur on top of the footage. Go into the advanced composition settings and change the motion samples to about 8 or 10 and the shutter angle fairly high to get an exaggerated effect. The alpha will probably need to be boosted as well, you can do that with levels.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: The Matrix jitter effect (not the bullet effect)
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:13:03 pm

Hey you might wanna try that time echo effect (under Time effects menu).

It's what I would use if I were to do that effect :)

Good luck!!

Hey and send me a quick preview of when you get it done ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]