ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Car v Human (Take 2)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
Car v Human (Take 2)
on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:11:01 am

Hi folks,

a while back I posted about an FX shot involving a side view of a car running into a person. Much like features in Andrew Kramer's advanced car hit tutorial.

Well, I've got my head around that angle I reckon, but I wondered if anyone might have some suggestions on how to approach the same car V human except from inside the car. This is clearly altogether a more complicated proposition. For starters the camera would be in the back of a moving car shooting over the shoulder of the driver and another in the passenger seat.

Here's the scenario. Three people are waiting in a car a few hundred meters down the road from a bar. The guy they're after comes out of the bar and they speed up to him and run him over the carry on and this shot need to be quite literally from the person in the back seats perspective - the camera is the passenger (as in, like rear 'passenger cam')

One good thing is I have the ability to do a sneaky cut just before the impact (and miss the imp0act itself) because it's scripted that she puts her head in her hands just prior to the impact. So she doesn't actually see the car hit the person. She looks up after the guy has been hit. So sound FXs and a smashed windscreen when she looks up will help sell it.

Thing is I still have to have the car approaching the guy at high speed as if it's going to hit him. Then the camera pans down (and POV/CAM eyes covered by hands - hidden cut?) and Pan up to a smashed windscreen.

Hope this kinda makes sense.

Any help, hints, guidance, tutorials etc would be much, much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Brearley
Re: Car v Human (Take 2)
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:57:39 pm

I would personally greenscreen the guy who is to be hit then track him in, ideally with boujou or pftrack but a point tracker might do the job as the car will be heading straight toward the camera I presume, so there shouldn't be too much (if any) shift in perspective. I ideally shoot the greenscreen footage at the same time as the car at the point where he gets hit. Lock the camera off and then the tracking should take care of the position and scale of him.

For the windscreen I would use Mocha to track around the edges of the windscreen and then corner pin a smashed windscreen over the top.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Aug 11, 2009 at 9:22:39 pm

Hi Chris,

thanks for your response I really appreciate any help you can give me with this.

>but a point tracker might do the job as the car will be heading straight toward the camera I presume, so there shouldn't be too much (if any) shift in perspective<

I think we may have our wires crossed. The shot I'm after is actually a POV from inside the car. From the rear passenger seat and over the shoulder of the driver and another in the passenger seat. So there's no opportunity for a locked off camera.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Brearley
on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:23:52 am

No, what I meant was make sure the camera is locked off while shooting the greenscreen footage!

The camera in the car can move about no problem as the the guy getting run over will be tracked on to a point on the road, which reminds me, you might want to put a marker down on the road where the guy gets run over, just behind where you want him to be, then you won't have to paint it out after. This will give you a location marker in the 3D track as well if you were to track that way.

The problem if you use a point track might be when the marker disappears under the bonnet when you get close in, you would then have to track something else in the seen and link them together. A 3d track would be a better option in my mind, as long as there was enough scenery in view outside the car to get a good track. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]