ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Boujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BrearleyBoujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 8:11:10 pm

Hi, this might be possibly be in the wrong place but there is no Boujou or matchmoving forum and the people at 2d3 (or vicon should I say?) aren't being too quick with their repsonse to my question.

I'm trying to import a boujou matchmove into after effects cs4 on mac os x 10.5.7 using the .ban file as opposed to the maya file as that always seems to screw up the pixel aspect ratio.

I've dropped the boujou plugin into the cs4/plugins folder but after effects doesnt recognise the .ban as a valid file type. I've brought the .ban file home and imported it on windows after effects cs4 which worked fine but I could do with knowing how to do it on the mac at work.

Has anyone got the .ban import working on a cs4/mac os x configuration or is there any where else I can drop the boujou plugin which after effects will read from? I used boujou silver bullet 4.0 for the matchmove.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Boujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:47:21 pm

[Chris Brearley] "I've dropped the boujou plugin into the cs4/plugins folder but after effects doesnt recognise the .ban as a valid file type. "

If this doohickey comes with an INSTALLER for Macs, use it. Macs like things installed, and not just dropped into folders.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris BrearleyRe: Boujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:12:18 pm

Unfortunately this 'doohickey' that accompanies this £2500 piece of software does not come with an installer, if it had, I would have used it. It is an After Afters plugin inside a .sit file.

And your point about macs liking things to be installed, half the programmes on my system were simply dropped into the apps folder, but thank you anyway for your constructiveness.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Boujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:31:54 pm

[Chris Brearley] "..Unfortunately this 'doohickey' that accompanies this £2500 piece of software does not come with an installer..."

Sorry to offend your tender sensibilities. In my defense, I've been known to refer to my $50,000 edit suite as a thingamajig.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob DahlRe: Boujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:56:47 pm

Thank you both for an enlightend conversation.

Dohickies, thingamabobs and others are the mainstay of the intelligent.

Arn't Boujou .ban files are the exported(output file from Bonjou) animation file? You chould be seeing a foulder that contains the AE plug in extention.

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005
http://www.transparentalchemy.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2009 at 11:51:05 pm

You are right in saying that the .ban files are are bojou animation files. In my experience, more accurate results can be achieved with these rather than importing maya projects.

The boujou plugin was downloaded from the vicon website inside a zipped file. I dropped it into the cs4/plugins folder as per the instructions. This should in theory enable AE to recognise the .ban file so it can be imported. This works all well and good on windows but not so on mac. There may be an issue with the mac plugin as it of course different from the windows one I downloaded from their site.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:15:23 pm

Just to update this thread for anyone who is interested, the boujou .ban plugin on mac does not work with newer versions of AE. Boujou was updated to solve the problem of wrong pixel aspect ratios in AE CS3+ but boujou silver bullet didn't get the update. So basically that means I have to live with the wrong pixel aspect ratio or import the .ban on a windows machine then open the project on mac.

Return to posts index

Rob DahlRe: Boujou .ban to After Effects on Mac OS X 10.5.7
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:10:41 pm

Ouch... I'm a PC and you are a MAC... I wish companies that support both platforms, would support both platforms...equally.

Good luck with this.

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005
http://www.transparentalchemy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]