ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

SPORE effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bert MossSPORE effect
by on Aug 10, 2009 at 7:16:31 pm

Has anyone ever produced a fractal rendering similar to this:

It was produced by proprietory software by Richard “Dr” Baily who, alas, dies in 2006. I've been asked by a client to replicate it. So the question is twofold:

1. Is there a fractal plugin that will replicate this effect within AE?

2. Does anyone have access to the application used to create the animation?

Return to posts index

Filip VanduerenRe: SPORE effect
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:02:40 am

It looks a lot like what the Fractal flame plugin used to do...

AEFlame is a very old freeware plugin of the fraxflame algoritm, still find it on the nets via google,
but it doesn't work with CS, I think the last officially supported version was 5.5 yikes... old.

Some people seem to suggest running it under rosetta in osX might work for CS versions, but I doubt it.

I remember Flame was very slow, had about a 100 parameters that made nosense whatsoever, so you just tried random values untill something cool happened. Check out the electric sheep screensaver for some cooler examples.

However, I think you can achieve very similar things with a few trapcode Form instances, one of the exampes on their site reminds me of this circular thing.

Return to posts index

Bert MossRe: SPORE effect
by on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:04:18 am

Thanks, Filip. The AEFlame plugin is powerPC only - it's not been updated for intel macs. Our last PowerPC was retired last year so that idea is out.

I'v had some success with Trapcode Form. It's about the closest I've found so far but it's not quite close enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved